Thread: Bridget Maguire

Default Bridget Maguire

I have an ancestor named Bridget Maguire who was born 15 August 1836 in County Fermanagh, Ireland and emigrated to Canada before 1857. How can I search for her?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    Do you have a marriage certificate for Bridget and if so does it name her father and possibly mother?
    Different countries/states vary in what information they require on marriage and death certificates.
    Whereabouts in Canada did she settle? Who did she marry. Names and birth dates of children?
    Sorry for all the questions but it helps our members get a handle on the family. As you can imagine Bridget and Maguire are common names in Ireland.
    Here is an Irish genealogy site you can try searching. https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
    Irish genealogy is know to be very frustrating, so many records lost/destroyed.
    There is also familysearch.org. Both sites are free to search.

Is Maguire her maiden name or married name?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Default Bridget Maguire

I have not found a marriage license for Bridget Maguire. She settled in Brampton, Peel, Canada, married Joseph Arneil, and had her first child in 1857. The children are as follows:
    Frank Arneil 1857-1891
    Joseph Dawson Arneil 1859-1937
    Robert Arneil 1861-1920
    Mary Emma Arneil 1866-1908
    Anna Arneil 1867-1940
    William Joseph Arneil 1873-1929
    Then the family moved to Sheridan Township in Carroll County, Iowa, USA and had another child:
    Charles Arneil 1876-1914

I saw in a census that she had 11 chidren - but these are the only ones I can find.
    This is all I know about her - I do know she was a strong Catholic.
    Thanks,
    JoJody

Dundee10

There was another son named Charles born in 1870 and he is on the 1871 census with the family. He most likely died before 1876 when the next Charles was born.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...:S3HY-61N9-GYW

Also with them in 1871 is an Ann MAGUIRE aged 60, born Ireland, Roman Catholic, who could be Bridget's mother. She is still with them in Iowa in 1885.

Thank you - I found that now. I see Ann Maguire was in Iowa in 1885 - but haven't found a death notice in Iowa. How do I find this family in Ireland?