Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Help needed with marriage.

I'm looking for the marriage of a John Nichols and Charlotte Thompson. They were both born about 1820 John according to the census in Mucking and Charlotte in Corringham, both in Essex. As far as i can tell they had two son's Henry born about 1853 and George who was born in April 1854, both in South Ockenden reg. district Orsett, Essex. I have found census forms for this family, sometimes i think their name was spelt with two L's but as i say i can't find a marriage. I've been looking at so many lists i thought a fresh pair of eye's may pick it up. I must add that there are another John and Charlotte Nichols and a large family noted in Coggleshall but that is not them. Any help much appreciated.
    Regards
    Susan

Dundee10

Marriages Dec Qtr 1844 Orsett

BLEWER George
    DORRINGTON William
    LOWERY Maria
    NICKOLES John
    RUST Mary
    THOMPSON Charlotte

If you are using FreeBMD you can use the 'phonetic search surnames' option.

A fountain of knowledge

You could also try replacing some letters in the name with the wildcards ? *

For Example;- entering nic?ol* produces the names;-

NICHOLS
    NICHOLL
    NICHOLLS
    NICKOLES
    NICHOLSON
    it will also produce variations on NICHOLAS

If that still produces no results try searching for the other person first with the spelling as you know it and then in a similar manner, i.e. replace individual letters that are likely to be omitted or incorrect by a ? and if several consecutive letters are in doubt use *.

It will lead to many more results but will catch unusual spellings.

One caveat, not all search engines accept wildcards. FreeBMD does.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I won't say it's one of the worst name combinations you could find because of the number of alternative spellings but I reckon it could make the top ten. As well as all the Nichols variants, Thomson and Tomson come to mind. Plus at least Charlot.

Gold stars all round for sleuthing, and for searching tips.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Jack & Lottie anyone?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    Marriages Dec Qtr 1844 Orsett

BLEWER George
    DORRINGTON William
    LOWERY Maria
    NICKOLES John
    RUST Mary
    THOMPSON Charlotte

If you are using FreeBMD you can use the 'phonetic search surnames' option.
    You are an absolute star. Think on a census the name has ak in it. But i think i had been looking at lists and i had got a bit brain fagged. Thank you very much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Kitchen View Post
    I'm looking for the marriage of a John Nichols and Charlotte Thompson. They were both born about 1820 John according to the census in Mucking and Charlotte in Corringham, both in Essex. As far as i can tell they had two son's Henry born about 1853 and George who was born in April 1854, both in South Ockenden reg. district Orsett, Essex. I have found census forms for this family, sometimes i think their name was spelt with two L's but as i say i can't find a marriage. I've been looking at so many lists i thought a fresh pair of eye's may pick it up. I must add that there are another John and Charlotte Nichols and a large family noted in Coggleshall but that is not them. Any help much appreciated.
    Regards
    Susan
    Apply sense. Simply change the name or give a name which is so close to the former name. I think this will be the best and smart solution on this matter.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchel View Post
    Apply sense. Simply change the name or give a name which is so close to the former name. I think this will be the best and smart solution on this matter.
    Actually, it won't be.
    The GRO issue certificates on a 'precise' basis.
    If you ask them to look for a marriage between John Nichols and Charlotte Thompson, it won't find one, and will reply 'not found'.
    If you ask for a marriage certificate for John Nickoles and mistakenly type 397 instead of 387 for the page number reference they will reply 'not found'.

It sounds harsh, but in a way is logical. It stops the possibility of them sending you an incorrect certificate and you (rightly) objecting to being charged nearly ten pounds for a certificate which is not the one you asked for.

There is an option whereby you can ask the GRO to search for a particular BM or D one (possibly two) years either side of a particular year, e.g. 1900. They will search and send you the first certificate they find within that range of years (e.g. 1899-1901). It might not be the correct one, but if it fits the search criteria you gave them, then they have fulfilled your request and will charge you regardless.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Growing old Disgracefully

If you can ring the records Office for the district the Records are from give as much details as you can ie marriage cert do you have the parents names you can ask for a cross reference as you only want that certain Certificate.

As far as I knew my Mum had 1 Brother and 3 Sisters all past now. To my surprise there where 4 more births and deaths on FreeBMD for children with the same surname and mothers maiden name I rang spoke to the records office Oxfordshire and said I only want the records if the fathers name is William and mothers name is Elizabeth (cross ref.) They agreed to this. They have to charge you for the records you are asking for but if they don't find any they refund the money I paid for 8 copies but they only found 6 so I had the price of 2 records refunded.