Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Sorry to be all over the place.! Did he have a brother Robert and what year was he born?
    There's a Presbyterian cemetery in the middle of no where near a hamlet called Berkeley and there were Wyllie's in that area.

SueNSW ,, I have to go back to the library... found the microfische film from 1870/71 and it is in horrible shape! I was searching through it but couldn't remember if you said a date.. now I see you did. I never made it that far .... also..sun was shining right through the window in my face. :O They've moved their machines and they are shoved in a corner in a very stupid spot. I'll go back on a cloudy morning, not a sunny afternoon and try my luck. ! I haven't forgotten you!!

SueNSW

Thanks so much for sticking with this Susan - much appreciated especially in such trying conditions!!

Sorry I missed your previous post (16th April) - It's been hard to check Andrew Wylie's family - can't even be sure of his birth date but I have c1838/1839 recorded from his marriage certificate - he was 24 when he married in February 1863. A Gabriel Wylie (not his father who was recorded as deceased) was a witness at the marriage but from memory even with such a relatively unusual first name he didn't seem to lead very far.

I must go back to this research again to refresh my memory.

What I found very interesting was that his daughter - Maggie Jane Carruthers Wylie returned to Owen Sound to marry at the Division Street Presbyterian Church on 27 Feb 1889 - so you'd have thought there was some sort of connection with the town.

From Ontario Marriages on Family Search

Warren Albert Paine - 27 years - Sydney Australia - born Walsall, England - Bachelor - Merchant - father Walter Paine - mother - Mary Ann Martin

Margaret Jane Wyllie - 25 years - Owen Sound Canada - born Walsall, England - Spinster - father Andrew Wyllie - mother Margaret Carruthers Wyllie

Witnesses - Samuel Martin, Toronto and Lulu Masson, Owen Sound

Bridegroom - Church of England
    Bride - Presbyterian

They traveled back to Australia in time for their first child to be born in Sydney on 25 Feb 1890.

Thanks again for anything you can add from your end

Cheers Sue

The church is still there..I will give them a call.! There are lots of Wylies and Carruthers in this city. I don't personally know any but they are "old" families.
    I will "dig" as I have time.. I enjoy it.
    I am just disappointed in our library..looks like genealogy is at the bottom of their help list.

SueNSW

Thanks again Susan - I really have no idea whether any of the family ended up settling in Owen Sound or the surrounding district - There were a lot of Carruthers offspring over a couple of generations at least so maybe they did. They had strong Scottish connections but from what I understand spent time in England too where they operated as traveling drapers - they are only a twig on my partner's tree so haven't gone into them in any great depth though

As for the Wylie's they are proving elusive - but interestingly the name continued down as a middle name through the next couple of generations here in Australia.

All good wishes
    Sue

SueNSW

Hey Sue - I've finally worked out the connection with Owen Sound and why the daughter of Andrew Wyllie married there in 1889 - nearly 20 years after her father died suddenly there!!!

Would love to know if just co-incidences were at play or whether there was more to it.........BUT.......

On 29th July 1879 the widowed (by Andrew's sudden death in 1870) - Margaret Wyllie - aged 35 married at her family home, Durhamhill in Kirkpatrick Durham, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland to.........(drum roll - ha ha!) Rev Duncan Morrison - a 62 year old widower who was a Presbyterian Minister -on furlough from Canada and from what I can ascertain, the minister at Knox Presbyterian Church in Owen Sound from 1866 to 1884.

They were back in Owen Sound for the 1881 census, with Andrew and Margaret's 17 year old daughter - also Margaret/Maggie.

Rev Morrison and Margaret senior were still there in the 1891 census - with the minister dying from influenza in 1894

Still lots of digging to do - but pleased to have least half answered one of the main questions I had.

All good wishes
    Sue

Have you seen the 1901 census? She ( MOTHER) was still here... They have screwed up the transcription, but I am pretty sure it was her. I will do some more investigating, but I have to go to work right now.
    Last edited by susan-y; 03-07-2018 at 1:10 PM. Reason: CLARIFYING

SueNSW

Hi Sue - no she has me completely beaten in 1901

Have tried Family Search and FindmyPast at home, then got to the library today to check Worldwide Ancestry (I've only got UK) and much as I hate to admit it - she has eluded me - can you give me some clues please.

Have also been looking for a suitable death to round her off but no luck there either.

Thanks again for your interest in this - much appreciated

Sue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12