Thread: Two for One

A fountain of knowledge

Red face Two for One

Just spotted this in the Parish Register of Chelmarsh, Shropshire, Baptisms for 1814.

What was the vicar doing/thinking?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Perhaps he'd been sampling a new batch of communion wine whilst writing up the register!

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

It's two seperate families bapt on same day. Is that the only one doubled up?
    I've seen pages done like this where the vicar is just saving paper or trying to fit in the last few entries for the year without starting a new register.
    Or he was just frugal, or tight! (I just mean careful with his pennies, not at the communion wine, Megan)

Cheers, MTS

A fountain of knowledge

I did wonder about sampling that particular vintage that day as it's the only such entry on the image I downloaded (2 pages) on a visit to Shropshire Archives some time ago. The following entry is exactly one week later, perfectly normal as is every other entry. It was page 3 (no not that one )
    I did wonder if he was a new minister but there were plenty of entries before and after with his monicker attached.

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

He's also struggled with the Location and Occupation culumns - so perhaps he had been at the wine!

Cheers, MTS