Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Barrett - Probable Home Child

I am trying to connect my GGrandfather to England. When I first started my genealogy journey I was looking into my fathers mother and with him got certs etc and puzzled that one out, unfortunately he (my father) died before learning what I found out. My grandfather passed when i was 11, and his father (the one whom Im looking for) passed away when my grandfather was three. So very little info, not even family stories really.

My GGrandfather's named as Albert Edward Barrett born June 26th 1891 Prestwood, Buckinghamshire on the documents that I have found, Marriage, Death and census here in Canada, father same name and mother unknown. As far as I know he travelled here with no family sometime around 1903/04. This led me to believe he may have been a home child, the closest Ive managed to find on transports is an A.C. Barratt 1893 landing in 1904, and that same ship shows this person leaving England as Albert Barratt with a Bernardo's party. Ive put a request into them to see if the limited information I have connects at all with what they have.

I had my fathers brother DNA tested last year and recently uploaded those results to my heritage. In doing so i came across a my first ever Barrett match. The woman that both my uncle and I match with, confirming its a paternal match has a family same name same location roughly. She matches my uncle as a first-second cousin twice removed, and no other names in her tree connect with me, and all of my lines excepting this one I have back far enough to find no connection to this area.

Looked this family up in the census, and a few times prestwood is named as a birth location. I contacted her and a few people on ancestry who have the same names in their tree a Sidney Barrett, but none of them know of another line (uncles of sidney, or siblings) for me to trace.

Any idea where I can go from here?

Dundee10

Hi and welcome.

Is this the DNA match Sidney you are talking about in 1911?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7VK-1XZ

Can you tell us about your Albert and give details of marriage, death and census?

Yes so I matched with their (sidneys) great grandchild myself at 3-5 gen, and as I said my uncle as a 1-2 cousin twice removed (i know its not exact).

My Albert:
    Marriage
    Name Albert Edward Barrett
    Age 22
    Birth Year abt 1891
    Birth Place Perstwood Eng
    Marriage Date 24 Oct 1913
    Marriage Place York, Ontario, Canada
    Father Albert Edward Barrett
    Mother Barrett Barrett
    Spouse Ethel Millar
    Household Members
    Name Age
    Ethel Millar
    Mary Lamont
    Samuel Millar
    Albert Edward Barrett
    Barrett Barrett
    Albert Edward Barrett

1921 Canadian Census
    Name Albert Barrett
    Gender Male
    Marital Status Married
    Age 29
    Birth Year abt 1892
    Birth Place England
    Relation to Head of House Head
    Spouse's Name Ethel Barrett
    Father Birth Place England
    Mother Birth Place England
    Year of Immigration 1903
    Racial or Tribal Origin English
    Province or Territory Ontario
    District Toronto West
    District Number 134
    Sub-District Ward 4
    Sub-District Number 6
    City, Town or Village Toronto "ward 4"
    Street or Township 87 Bellevue Place
    Municipality Ward 4
    Occupation Press Feeder
    Income 1500
    Household Members
    Name Age
    Albert Barrett 29
    Ethel Barrett 26
    Albert Barrett 6
    Ailleen Barrett 4
    Walter Barrett 1
    Sam Miller 28

Death
    Name Albert Edward Barrett
    Gender Male
    Age 31
    Birth Date abt 1892
    Birth Place England
    Death Date 18 Mar 1923
    Death Place York, Ontario, Canada
    Cause of Death Acute Lymphatic Leukemia
    Household Members
    Name Age
    Albert Edward Barrett

Dundee10

I think he may have been Sidney's brother.

BARRATT, ALBERT EDWARD
    Mother's maiden surname: PEARCE
    GRO Reference: 1892 S Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 639

BARRETT, SIDNEY ALFRED
    GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 475

I see that brother Leighton was in Dr Barnado's in Kent in 1901, noted as feeble minded.

Dundee10

In 1901 sister Lavinia was in the asylum for the deaf and dumb children of the poor in Kent.

thats awesome, the trees that i do see, dont show an albert in that generation. Im going to approach them with this info and look more into it thanks. How did you find the two in Kent? how would i try to trace that albert forward. So appreciative of the help btw!!

Dundee10

Bearing in mind that these surnames are not uncommon you really should get the birth cert for Albert to confirm that parents' details match Sidney.

You can search for births on the GRO's website. These are the BARRETT/PEARCE births that I can see in the Amersham registration district:

BARRETT, SIDNEY ALFRED
    GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 475

BARRATT, BERTHA
    GRO Reference: 1881 S Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 523

BARRETT, LAVINIA
    GRO Reference: 1886 J Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 616

BARRETT, LEIGHTEN
    GRO Reference: 1890 M Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 641

BARRATT, ALBERT EDWARD
    GRO Reference: 1892 S Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 639

BARRETT, JOSEPH HENRY
    GRO Reference: 1894 S Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 622

Bertha is I think with her grandfather John BARRETT in 1891, He has the same occupation as son Harry/Henry - dealer/corn dealer.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4G69-MZM

You can search census records via the subscription websites or free on FamilySearch. I can't yet see Albert in 1901.

Possible deaths of both parents:

BARRETT, HARRY
    Aged 41
    GRO Reference: 1896 J Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 353

BARRETT, MARY ANN
    Aged 41
    GRO Reference: 1898 S Quarter in AMERSHAM Volume 03A Page 455

It is quite possible that Albert didn't know his family at all if they were split up when he was around 5 years old.

Thanks, I had done a search after you gave me the first two, but i didnt pick up that Bertha. Ive order certs for both sidney & albert to compare, now i just have to wait.

My guess if albert is from that family he's in a workhouse, orphanage somewhere.

Update: the birth certs confirm he is Sidneys brother!! The date on the birth cert is June 26, 1892, so I was only off by a year. Going to order the rest of the families birth certs as well as the parents death. now I need to find him in 1901, he sailed to Canada 1903!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast