John William Savage, James Braithwaite
    District Penrith
    District number -
    County Cumberland
    Country England
    Volume 10B
    Volume as transcribed 10B
    Page number 930

I know she married JW Savage so how can there be a question on the trancscript of who she married? Also, if I order this marriage cert using the references given, it surely will prove there was only one person she could have married - won't it?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If indexed correctly by the GRO (and mistakes do happen) every page number should have an even number of men and women on it. i.e. a bride for every groom.
    And seen better on FreeBMD than on FMP because FMP will usually only list grooms when you search for a bride and vice versa.

Prior to 1852 there could be four marriages per page; then it was reduced to two marriages per page. But who married who was never indexed until 1912. Therefore you're given the names of who Mary could have married.

You have an advantage in knowing that she married John Savage, so you know that you will be ordering the correct certificate - sometimes with a common name it can be difficult to be sure.

And yes, the certificate will show that Mary only married one man. Just order in Mary's name, using those reference numbers.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If you're not familiar with FreeBMD, go to https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Select marriages, and search for Charles Barker, married 1850 in Boston registration district.
    Click on the blue page number, and you will see a list of all the people whose names appear on that page. Four grooms, four brides.

Then search for Ruth Ebb, married 1854, same registration district. Now only two grooms, two brides.

Fast forward to 1914, and search for William Hildred, same registration district. You will see against his name the surname of his bride. Click on the page number and you will find exactly who married who.

Hope this helped.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    If you're not familiar with FreeBMD, go to https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Select marriages, and search for Charles Barker, married 1850 in Boston registration district.
    Click on the blue page number, and you will see a list of all the people whose names appear on that page. Four grooms, four brides.

Then search for Ruth Ebb, married 1854, same registration district. Now only two grooms, two brides.

Fast forward to 1914, and search for William Hildred, same registration district. You will see against his name the surname of his bride. Click on the page number and you will find exactly who married who.

Hope this helped.

Pam
    Thank you. Years ago when I started looking for relations, Free BMD was all there was but I must admit, since I've picked up the threads again, i've not really looked at it