Default Trying to trace Grandfather's time @ RAF WW2

Hi,
    I am looking for information/pointers on how to trace my grandfathers time in RAF. I know he was on an RAF base in UK during WW2. I know he served in Dublin Fusiliers in WW1 and have his service number and medal card.
    When WW2 broke out he was too old to be sent to war zone so was sent to RAF base somewhere is England. He survived the war, all I have is his name, not much to go on but I also have a photo of him in RAF uniform, but no written indication of what base he might have been on. I have tried searching his name William Walsh on Forces War Records but few hits. please advise.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello LBreathnach,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I was going to ask if he was possibly employed in a civilian role on an RAF base, but as you have a photo of him in uniform I can only assume that he did enist.

Records for personnel serving after 1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence. Details of how to obtain them can be found here. You will need to send a cheque for thirty pounds and a copy of your grandfather's death certificate. There may well be a wait of at least several weeks before you get a reply.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

He was probably on training or admin in WW2.

Just to eliminate possibilities, are you sure that he didn’t transfer to the RAF when it formed in 1918? It wasn’t just the aircrews who transferred, they needed a complete support service as well. That might account for the photo.
    Are there any rank markings on his uniform?
    It would be useful to know more about him - when was he born?

Is he WH Walsh RAFVR Service Number 135427?

is he WW1 service number 17215?

A fountain of knowledge

If you don't already know his service number then there is probably little or no point looking through random military records for someone of the same surname and initials.
    he could be any of them or none of them.

Thanks It could be any it could be absent using what information the OP provided, it could be two to eliminate still in doing so its with the best intentions and I regret it doesn't seem to meet your expectations. But hey I can so I do without malice aforethought.