Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Local newspapers were usually still being printed during the war, though possibly with fewer pages than before. (I've never done a comparison.) And certainly my local one regularly printed photos of servicemen.

One of the big Norfolk newspapers was/is the Eastern Daily Press. I doubt if they would assign a staff member to go throught their archives, but they should print a letter asking if a member/some members of the public would look for you. I haven't checked but (filmed) copies are probably available either at The Forum (library and archives) or the Norfolk Record Office, both of which are in Norwich.

High Kelling is about eight miles from Cromer where the more local paper is the North Norfolk News.
    Local newspapers are often available at local libraries but it doesn't mention anything at Cromer library. Still worth contacting them to ask, plus they may know where copies are available.

I would add that anyone who could who would be willing to search should perhaps start by searching for a mention of John's death as there might be a photograph. Then it's toss a coin as to what 'system' they use because we've no idea when John enlisted. Might be worth guessing 1942, and then 1943, or they might want to start earlier.

Just been checking the British Newspaper Archive but their online copies of the EDP currently end in 1919.

There's also an Eastern Morning News and an Eastern Evening News though I don't know exactly which areas they cover (and again no use online for the 1940s).
    There's also a Norfolk Chronicle and a Norfolk News - again I have no knowledge about them but I expect that you will be able to use a search engine to find out more. Just remember to specify Norfolk England.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Loves to help with queries

Thanks, Pam. Writing a 'letter to the editor' isn't a bad idea. I'll give it a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12