Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default 2nd battalion South Wales Borderers

Hi all

I have been looking for war records relating to my great grandfather Thomas Lynch. The only thing I can find relating to him in the military is a 1911 cencus. He was in the 2nd battalion the South Wales Borderers.
    Registration district 641, South Africa, piece 34977. His name Thomas lynch age in 1911 was 21 birth place pill Newport wales.

Can anybody help please.
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 06-04-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo that would confuse a search engine

A fountain of knowledge

Unfortunately over 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed in WW2, so finding a relevant record will be fortunate. The surviving records are available on-line (Ancestry (£)).
    The National Archives have guides for searching for WW1 records TNA WW1 Research Guides click on blue link to see a list of them.

There is an earlier record for a Thomas Lynch on Findmypast - a pay per view site.
    Birth date 1890, record date 1907, address - St Woolis, Newport, Monmouthshire.
    There is also one - Lynch Thomas born 1892 —record date 1921 Royal Tank Corps Enlistment Records, 1919-1934
    Address Pillgwenlly, Monmouthshire, Wales
    The birth date is out a couple of years on the second record but the address matches with the 1911 census birth place.
    These are just the basic search results. You need to buy some credits to download the images. The information on them could vary wildly.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

thanks Macwil

Yeah I’m on Ancestry I’ve been searching on there for a while now but had no luck. I had heard that a large majority of the records had been destroyed. I was just hoping somebody might know of an alternative option other than ancestry.

I’ll have a look at the national archives. Thanks again.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Christanel

I don’t really use find my past very much but I’ll have look. Thanks again

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by C lynch View Post
    thanks Macwil

Yeah I’m on Ancestry I’ve been searching on there for a while now but had no luck. I had heard that a large majority of the records had been destroyed. I was just hoping somebody might know of an alternative option other than ancestry.

I’ll have a look at the national archives. Thanks again.
    Afraid not. TNA licensed Ancestry for the records (see TNA site link in my post above). There may be other records available elsewhere i.e. Medal Records, Pension Records etc. again look at the guides on TNA.
    If the record Christina found of the tank reg. in 1921 is your man then his service records will be with the MOD.

Reputation beyond repute

We know from the census record that you found and the enlistment papers that Christina found that he was a regular (career) soldier before the war.

Providing he survived the war, he may still have been a regular after the war. If so, his service record will not have been burnt but will still be held by the Ministry of Defence. There is plenty of advice on this site about how to apply for copies.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Peter

Thanks for your response. Thomas did survive the war but he was injured. I’m not exactly sure of the date but the next record i have for him is a marriage cert from 1919. They had children soon after. I pretty sure he never served again after that.

Reputation beyond repute

What was his occupation on the marriage certificate and on the birth certificates of the children?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    What was his occupation on the marriage certificate and on the birth certificates of the children?
    On his marriage cert it states that he was a chief engineer. The birth certificate of my grand father i think it says he was a corporation official.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast