Thread: JAMES SHAW.

truey52

Default JAMES SHAW.

John SHAW and Nancy ? were my 3xgt grandparents. I know no other information about them, and even that little bit could be questionable!. Their son James SHAW died at Avoca, Victoria, in 1862, when his bullock dray upturned and ran over him. According to dates on his death certificate, James would have been born around 1824, somewhere in London, his parents being the above named John SHAW, who was a tailor by trade, and Nancy unknown. James SHAW married Margaret PRATT in Adelaide in 1852, he was aged 28. Again, according to his death cert. James would have arrived in Adelaide sometime in 1841, had lived there 12 years and 9 years in Victoria. James SHAW and Margaret PRATT had their first 2 children in Adelaide, James born 1853 and Margaret born 1854. Their next 4 children were all born at Avoca, Victoria, form 1856.
    I have searched for many years for information on James SHAW, prior to his arrival in Adelaide, and have searched in vain for any information regarding his parents, with little success. Hoping someone can assist with this please, thanks so much.
    PS, Margaret PRATT, wife of James SHAW was informant on the death cert. so not sure how correct any of the information is.

Growing old Disgracefully

could this be a brother -

Joseph Shaw
    Birth Date 27 Nov 1820
    Birthplace Cripplegate, London
    Father's Name John Shaw
    Mother's Name Nancy Shaw

truey52

It's entirely possible, Sandyhall, but because I don't really know too much, I can't say for sure. Thanks so much for having a look though.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post

Joseph Shaw
    Birth Date 27 Nov 1820
    Father's Name John Shaw
    Mother's Name Nancy Shaw
    Sorry I should have told you that's all I found on "Family Search"
    I looked for James first and nothing came up, so then tried searching with parents names only with Birth place London

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post

Joseph Shaw
    Birth Date 27 Nov 1820
    Father's Name John Shaw
    Mother's Name Nancy Shaw
    Not sure if this helps or hinders, but this baptism is from Dr Williams Library in Red Cross Street, Cripplegate (non-conformist).
    Full details are:

Joseph Shaw, Stayley Bridge, Parish of Ashton under Lyne, Lancaster. Born 27 Nov 1820, registered 18 Jul 1822, son of John Shaw & Nancy, daughter of Saml Hitchen (or Kitchen). Witnesses Mary Shaw, Mary Hitchen. Witness Thos Hyde, David Shaw

truey52

Thanks so much for that information, have since found an entry also for a Sarah Jane Shaw who is possibly a sister to the abovementioned Joseph, she was baptised 1825 with parents John SHAW and Nancy HICKEN at Staley Bridge, Mount Pleasant General Baptist New Connexion. But have still not been able to find a birth/baptism for James SHAW, possibly around 1824. But anyway, thanks so much for responses.

Have you tried variations such as Jas?