Default Enlistment Records - World War I

Anyone know how to obtain enlistment records? Trying to find my grandfather's details for joining the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) at the start of World War I.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi,

Welcome to Brit-Gen.

Unfortunately over 60% of WW1 records were destroyed in WW2, so finding a relevant record will be fortunate. The records are available on-line (Ancestry). The National Archives have guides for searching for WW1 records TNA WW1 Research Guides click on blue link to see a list of them.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Malcolm.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    Unfortunately, over 60% of WW1records were destroyed by fires during WW2. Those that survive, are available on at least one of the pay to use sites, Ancestry. Even when they have survived, they can be sketchy.
    If you tell us a bit about him,it’s sometimes possible to find odd bits of info in other places, especially for those who didn’t survive...

(This message obviously crossed with Malcolm's)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzle19 View Post
    Anyone know how to obtain enlistment records? Trying to find my grandfather's details for joining the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) at the start of World War I.
    Have you checked to see whether there is a regimental museum? If there is, then they might have something.