Default 49th Infantry Division Polar Bears

Hi. I'm trying to find out about my father's WW2 service. He died when I was eleven so never had the opportunity to talk to him about it. I know he was in the army age 19 from 1939-45. He left a polar bear badge and mentioned Arnhem. I understand this is the 49th. He comes from Hull, East Yorkshire. Any help or pointers in the right direction greatly appreciated. Susan

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Susan
    You will not find any WW11 serice records online as they are still held by the MoD
    You can apply for them and this 'sticky' explains and gives the link where you can download the application forms. You will need 30 pounds and a copy of your father's death certificate.
    I think you may have come to us from Forces War Records, if so reading this will explain why and just what we do at Brit-gen.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello Susan.
    The "Polar Bears" got their name from having served in Iceland (pre-1944).
    As Christanel pointed out, WW2 Service Records are not available to the public - although as a direct descendant you are eligible to receive a copy of what they have - at a cost.
    Have you tried the 49th's Regimental Museum? I think it's in Rotherham. They would have records of where the 49ths served - although probably no mention of your father by name.

As an aside:
    Many moons ago I was the courier for a group of pensioners & their wives on a coach tour of Normandy (hotel in Rouen, visits including the D-Day landing beaches at Arromanches, and inland to Bayeux). Most were WW2 veterans, and we spent a day visiting graveyards, looking for a particular man - and one that we called at had a Polar Bear statue. That's where I learned about the Regiment - they had a hard time ...
    I cannot remember where it was - just in that area. Perhaps the Museum would know?

Jane

I see that there's also a US Polar Bear Association based on units from the 5th army. Since they don't mention UK forces on their site, I assume that it's a different organisation...