Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default War Record for Far East PoW

Good afternoon. Apologies for posting repeat information but I could not find a way of searching for my previous post and following on from it.

I had previously enquired about my grandfather John Bell Nichol and had downloaded his record. Following advice from this forum I have now got the information back from an MoD enquiry but it does not include any army service during or leading up to WW2.

The search results now show another entry against the same search criteria which lists him as a Sergeant in the HK Dockyard Police which is consistent with other documentation I have. How can I find out if these records are the same person and one is just a more detailed version of the other.

The reason I ask is that I have older family members (my mother and uncle) who believe he was in the Royal Artillery but I have no searches which can prove it. Are there any other avenues to explore this.

As an aside, when I was a paid member I had saved the initial search but can no longer see it. Would it have disappeared when my paid membership expired e.g. If I become a paid member again for a month will I be able to save both entries and will they remain if I shut down my membership again.

Thanks in advance.

Paul..

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by jpanichol View Post
    . . . but I could not find a way of searching for my previous post and following on from it. . . .

Paul..
    Hi Paul,
    To find previous posts go to the blue bar at the top of the page where you 'log out' next to that is 'Quick Links' with a down triangle/arrow next to it, click on that and a drop menu appears, click on top link 'Subscribed Threads' and a list of all the threads you heve contributed to will appear.

Regards,
    Malcolm.

A fountain of knowledge

Good afternoon. Apologies for posting repeat information but I could not find a way of searching for my previous post and following on from it.

I had previously enquired about my grandfather John Bell Nichol . . .

Paul..
    Hi Paul,

I think this is the post you are looking for:- Looking for information on my grandfather (click on blue link)

Regards
    Malcolm

NOTE TO MODS: Would it be wise to join these two threads or close the first?

Locked and a reference to this thread posted.

Ah, my actions crossed with your post Malcolm

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Paul
    was your John Bell Nichol born Hawick Roxburghshire? That is the birth place of the person in the Hong Kong Royal Naval Dockyard Police.
    In relation to your statement that John Bell's service record does not contain any reference to being a member of the Royal Artillery prior to WW11. If he had been a member of the forces from 1921 to WW11 (and after) the information would be in the service record you received. So it seems he did not serve. Hie was captured POW as a civilian.
    There is a button with a star and the words Save This Record top left above the records you view then you go to 'Your Profile" top right banner andthe next page lets you access your saved records. Now I don't know whether you can access them as a non member. I will find out.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Paul
    try logging in to FWR then search for the record you previously accessed. If you saved it it will have a yellow star next to it. If it has try clicking on it and see if you can still access it.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Hi Malcolm thanks for this. Perhaps it's the browser I am using but I cannot see the down arrow that you mention. Could you post an image please.

Hi Christina that is the correct name. Am I right in thinking that I need to renew my membership in order to access this record. If I'm going to do that will I be able to get more information on the H-K Royal Naval Dockyard police as I would like to make more connections in that direction as it's all a bit of mystery as to why my grandfather ended up in H-K as the assumption he was previously posted there in the army seems to have disintegrated.

With regard to the previous entry which I had downloaded there is a yellow star next to it but when I try and access it it brings up the page to subscribe so I will probably subscribe for a month to get the information.\

Thanks again for all of your support.

Paul..

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Malcolm thanks for this. Perhaps it's the browser I am using but I cannot see the down arrow that you mention. Could you post an image please.
    Hi Paul,
    You need to be logged to see the Quick Links tab.
    Here's a clip:-

If the arrow's not visible try just clicking on 'Quick Links' the menu may still appear.

Another way to find previous posts is to click on your 'user name' at top left in any message and then 'View Forum Posts' in the drop menu.

Regards,
    Malcolm.
    Last edited by macwil; 05-04-2018 at 8:55 AM. Reason: additional info

There is a birth cert on Scotlands People's index for a John Bell Nichol in Hawick in 1913. I can't get any more info without spending my own credits.
    If he was not in the RA, but you think he was a Sgt before joining the HK Police (#1, other thread), could he have been in the UK Police?
    Does the pay slip (#1, other thread) say where he was a POW? Far East or Europe? Ancestry has a list of POWs in Europe with 3 J Nichols (RASC, Cameron Highlanders & Black Watch), but no JBs...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast