Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

That worked a treat Christina. Thanks for your help.

Paul..

By way of update I have gone back to the MoD historical records and challenged them on the information provided and have been told that there is additional information available so I am hoping that this is the record of service in the Royal Artillery.

I have also renewed my membership and have pulled the new record which has my grandfather in the RN Hong Kong Dockyard police. Of course this raises a couple of questions which I am hoping can get answered on this forum.

Where does the data for this come from? It is all correct but I'd like to know what the source is in case there is more available e.g. it also has information on next of kin.
    The archive reference is Ron Bridge's Collection but I am not sure what that means.
    It mentions a couple of campaign medals which I am a little confused about. War Medal 1939-1945 and 1939-45 Star.
    Aren't these only for service personnel.
    Is a Dockyard Policeman considered a civilian position however the certificate says Service: British Army.
    What are the official routes for getting these medals. I see there is an option on the site to purchase these.

Sorry for all of the questions but I am keen to make progress now that I have managed to get more information.

Paul..

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by jpanichol View Post
    By way of update I have gone back to the MoD historical records and challenged them on the information provided and have been told that there is additional information available so I am hoping that this is the record of service in the Royal Artillery.

I have also renewed my membership and have pulled the new record which has my grandfather in the RN Hong Kong Dockyard police. Of course this raises a couple of questions which I am hoping can get answered on this forum.

Where does the data for this come from? It is all correct but I'd like to know what the source is in case there is more available e.g. it also has information on next of kin.
    The archive reference is Ron Bridge's Collection but I am not sure what that means.

Paul..
    Click on the link in the next line. That should explain Ron's connection.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hong Kong Royal Naval Dockyard Police
    The dockyard closed in 1961 but personnel who transferred within the police could still be awarded the long service medal medal until 1973. Approximately 280 medals were awarded.

The National Archives research guide Here which says "Some post-1920s service records for dockyards personnel are held by the Ministry of Defence. Visit Veterans UK to find out how to request a summary of a service record."

This is another site found when searching but haven't looked closely at it.

Chris
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi
    FWR has 2 records for John Bell Nichol.
    One has him as a civilian POW. Source - Imperial Prisoners of War Held in Japan.

The other record has him as a Sergeant and it is this record that says he would be entitled to the two medals.
    They both have his date of capture as Christmas day 1941

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123