+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Hi and thank you, I have been in touch with a historical group on the Isle of Wight and they tell me there is no record of a Richard Groombridge Butt born there or of any record of the name Groombridge. Iím assuming the name Groombridge is Richards motherís maiden name, without a first name I have not tried searching with that name. So I will assume the information that Richard was born in Isle of Wight is wrong and I will concentrate on Jersey. Iím hoping I can make contact with another of Richards descendants who may have parents details and be happy to share with me. Thank you again, regards Lynda.

Name well known on Brit-Gen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,351 Posts

It could be that Richard G was born on the Isle of Wight but not baptised until he was older and then on Jersey.
    Remember registration of births as we know them today didmnot start until 1 July 1837

I was b Warwickshire and baptised in Cheshire!

Thanks

When was the first time Richard Butt has Groombridge added to his name ? What does his death cert. give for his parent's names ?

I have been having a look through the Papers Past web site and the first instance I can see is in his obituary & death notice.

I personally think that it is very likely that Richard is the son of Richard Butt & Marie Cabot. He would have been only 2 years old when his mother married John Hartley Smith and he would be the only father he knew.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 946 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    When was the first time Richard Butt has Groombridge added to his name ? What does his death cert. give for his parent's names ?

I have been having a look through the Papers Past web site and the first instance I can see is in his obituary & death notice.

I personally think that it is very likely that Richard is the son of Richard Butt & Marie Cabot. He would have been only 2 years old when his mother married John Hartley Smith and he would be the only father he knew.
    And I agree with Kath NZ
    Alma

Name well known on Brit-Gen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,351 Posts

FMP has a 1845 seaman's card showing Richard James Butt dob 24 June 1832

1853/54 Richard Butt b 1831

There is a passport application in the name of Richard Butt circa 1853 but there is no way of telling if it is the R Butt being researched!

1856 he was Richard Butt on marriage

Thanks

I see that there is a New Zealand 1878 electoral roll entry for Richard Groombridge Butt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4