Thread: Edward French.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Edward French.

In my husbands tree there is a Great Aunt by the name of Georgina Sarah Cole who married Edward French on
    27th April 1901. They emigrated to Canada. Edward was born December 1878 and died 12th August 1943. I have come across a document on line recording his death and burial in Prospect cemetery. But i have also found on line a picture of Edwards grave, the headstone having his name and date of death plus "A Soldier of the Canadian Army" Bearing in mind that Edward would have been about 64-65 he couldn't have been also the document records his occupation as Garbage collector. Edward did join the Canadian Army in 1915 but is it likely it would refer to that? All thoughts welcome.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Kitchen View Post
    In my husbands tree there is a Great Aunt by the name of Georgina Sarah Cole who married Edward French on
    27th April 1901. They emigrated to Canada. Edward was born December 1878 and died 12th August 1943. I have come across a document on line recording his death and burial in Prospect cemetery. But i have also found on line a picture of Edwards grave, the headstone having his name and date of death plus "A Soldier of the Canadian Army" Bearing in mind that Edward would have been about 64-65 he couldn't have been also the document records his occupation as Garbage collector. Edward did join the Canadian Army in 1915 but is it likely it would refer to that? All thoughts welcome.
    Most likely refers to the fact that he was in the Army at some point in his life, as you say he did join up in 1915. Have you got his army records ?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Yes i've got his records and everything matches up. Obviously no ones going to put Garbage collector on his head stone but it's the first time i've come across a headstone where it say's a Soldier of the Canadian Army when they weren't at the time of death.
    Thank you for your reply.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

My great-grandfather who had emigrated as a harvester and was planning to return to England died in British Columbia and his grave stone has his navy number as well as the words 'Royal Navy' on it, so I would think it highly likely those words would have been on Edward's grave.

You can see Edward's Attestation Paper at https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...l-records.aspx
    If you look at the top of the thumbnail you will there are two pages. The second page is quite interesting.

Pam (who was looking while you were posting)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”