Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default I know it's there somewhere!

If anyone is at a loose end this Easter Sunday, maybe they could help me see what is probably shouting out to me from the census
    I'm looking at Sandgate, Penrith Cumbria. At some point between 1881 and 1911 there were families called Bell and Kitchen living there. (Possibly Norman, the Bell maiden name). I've seen it, I know I've seen it (unless I dreamt it). Emily Kitchen and family lived there at the 1911 census but I'm sure at some point the families were living there at the same time. HELP!

Public Offices Sandgate Penrith, Penrith, Cumberland

Emily Kitchen Head Widow Female 48 1863 Westoe Dorsets Caretaker Of Offices
    Ethel Kitchen Daughter Single Female 21 1890 Clifton Westmorland Lady's Maid Domestic
    James Kitchen Son Single Male 16 1895 Armathwaite Cumb. Apprentice Draper
    Edith Kitchen Daughter Single Female 13 1898 Penrith Cumb. Schoo

Peanut

1891, Lazonby, Cumberland, RG12; Piece: 4278; Folio: 80; Page: 3
    James Kitchen 29
    Emily Kitchen 29
    Jane A Kitchen 9
    Elizabeth Kitchen 7
    Isabella Kitchen 5
    Emily Kitchen 5
    Ethel M Kitchen 1

There are some Bell's living next door but I don't know if they're who you are looking for.

Thomas Hope 69, Ainstable
    Fanny Hope 49, Low Heskett
    Thomas W Bell 6, nurse child, Ainstable
    Margaret I Bell 4/12. nurse child, Ainstable
    Joseph Bell 5, nurse child, Ainstable
    Alma

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I follow Kitchen/ Kitchen in S Cumbria, with a smattering up north! This rang a 'bell' ( sorry) with me, some of the info may help with the current research

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...light=sandgate

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    I follow Kitchen/ Kitchen in S Cumbria, with a smattering up north! This rang a 'bell' ( sorry) with me, some of the info may help with the current research

Thank you, Geneius, that link gives a good insight into the background of this query. Personally, I think to link the two would over complicate things as the link is very long, however, another Mod may think differently and decide to link the two.

The link is very useful for any member involving themselves to help with this latest query.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post

Yes, thank you, it's me again, like a bad penny lol. I was going to ask my question on my original thread but thought it would perhaps be lost in the sands of time. I do have all the comments on the original thread save as a word document. I've come quite a way since then in that I have defintley got my paternal grandmother and her family (only took 11 years!) and a very good chance of who my paternal grandfather was but without DNA evidence, I have no way of proving it. I've sent my DNA off in a last ditch attempt at proving the connection

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    1891, Lazonby, Cumberland, RG12; Piece: 4278; Folio: 80; Page: 3
    James Kitchen 29
    Emily Kitchen 29
    Jane A Kitchen 9
    Elizabeth Kitchen 7
    Isabella Kitchen 5
    Emily Kitchen 5
    Ethel M Kitchen 1

There are some Bell's living next door but I don't know if they're who you are looking for.

Thomas Hope 69, Ainstable
    Fanny Hope 49, Low Heskett
    Thomas W Bell 6, nurse child, Ainstable
    Margaret I Bell 4/12. nurse child, Ainstable
    Joseph Bell 5, nurse child, Ainstable
    Thank you. I'm sure there has to be a connection, it's too much of a coincidence

To be consistent with our own rules about active threads, I have closed the other one.
    Alma's right, merging the two would be too complicated.

Starting to feel at home

Sorry back again. How do I find a will? Emily Kitchen died in 1941 aged 76, leaving a will. I have that down in my notes and her death is on the index but I can't find any info about a will

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by freccle View Post
    Sorry back again. How do I find a will? Emily Kitchen died in 1941 aged 76, leaving a will. I have that down in my notes and her death is on the index but I can't find any info about a will
    Also, one of Emily Kitchen's children is James Kitchen, born 1895. Now I can't find either a marriage reference or a death reference. If he died in the war, would I have to try to find it in the forces records? I HAVE found details of a memorial to previous masters and pupils who died in WW1 on a Penrith school (no longer there) that listed a James Kitchen, previously a pupil who perished in the war. Is there any way of confirming it’s the right James Kitchen
    https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/...1957114450.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast