Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default 16th Btn Lancashire Fusiliers - help needed

I am trying to find records relating to my great grandfather James Crook and also his brother Thomas Crook. I have found records for Thomas Crook who served with the 16th Batallion Lancashire Fusiliers (No. 11951) who I believe died on 05/07/1916. All I have been able to find for Thomas is his medal card and from there I found out that he died on 05/07/1916. I have not been able to find any service records or anything else relating to his service or death. Any suggestions on what I can find and where.

As to his brother James Crook who is my great grandfather I've not been able to find anything for him. He was born in 1891 in Ireland and when war broke out he was living with Thomas in Salford so I can see that they were both likely to sign up for the Lancashire Fusiliers being Salford Lads but I've not been able to find out anything about him. I know that he survived the war as he went on to marry and have children but I just don't know where else I can look for his records etc other than on Ancestry.

Is there a list somewhere of all soldiers who served with the Lancashire Fusiliers or is there a regimental archive office I can contact maybe ?

Any suggestions on the above would be much appreciated

Reputation beyond repute

There's a James Crook in the Lancashire Fusiliers No. 39761 who seems to have started in the 15th Battalion (1st Salford). Might that be him? (not that's any way to tell for sure).

Have you read the Research Guide and noted that most WW1 army service records have not survived?

Hi
    Could this be your Thomas
    Manchester Evening News 20 Feb 1917

Cororal Thomas Crook Loyal North Lancashire Regiment,
    66 Lincoln Street, died on February 14 was a well-known
    Oldham Association footballer

Peanut

Hi

Thomas Crook who i mentioned from the newspaper
    his next of kin was
    Father Thomas
    Mother Charlotte
    Sister Edith, Alice, and Emma
    So no James mentioned

Peanut

Famous for offering help & advice

The Thomas who died 1916 made his brother James his sole legatee according to the register of soldiers effects, but this was later amended to his sister in law Bessie.

It may therefore be worth ordering up Thomas's will to see if it gives any further details about his brother James, eg regiment and/or service number: https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#soldiers

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

This definitely sounds like the right person as James Crook was married to a Bessie Crook. I'll have a look at finding the will

Thanks for your help