Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Settling in

Yes I agree that John and Mary Smith are most likely to be the parents of Samuel and Thomas. Their address seems to be Holcome Lane Tottington. What is the best way to confirm that? Also wondering if Samuel and Thomas had more siblings?

Quote Originally Posted by linleeridge View Post
    Yes I agree that John and Mary Smith are most likely to be the parents of Samuel and Thomas. Their address seems to be Holcome Lane Tottington. What is the best way to confirm that? Also wondering if Samuel and Thomas had more siblings?
    Smith is so common it won't be easy to confirm. Would Thomas' Australian death certificate have his date of birth entered if so you can confirm with that if it matches the baptism I gave you which has the date of birth.
    Alma

Settling in

I have looked at many registers for the Bury area and also from the Australian death register. Many do not mention date of birth. However in Find My Past looking at Victorian deaths 1836 - 1985 shows Thomas Smith born 1833 and died in Victoria Australia in 1908. This looks like a feasible option to me. Finding anything in UK sites is very inconclusive. Difficult to know the best source of information.
    Using lan-ops.org.uk looking at St Mary's Bury shows Thos Smith born 23/8/1833, baptised St. Mary the Virgin Bury Lancs. Son of John Smith and Mary. Abode is Redivals which I thinks means Redvales. Baptised by Thos. Potter Curate. Register Baptisms 1831- 1834 Page 199, entry 1585. Source LDS Film 559157. Any suggestions to get a lead on parents John & Mary Smith.
    I have never seen that abode mentioned before but it is in the same area as Tottington.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by linleeridge View Post
    I have looked at many registers for the Bury area and also from the Australian death register. Many do not mention date of birth. However in Find My Past looking at Victorian deaths 1836 - 1985 shows Thomas Smith born 1833 and died in Victoria Australia in 1908. This looks like a feasible option to me.
    Vic BDM indexes are free to search online via the registry's website.

SMITH, Ellen
    Father's name: Jas NUTTALL
    Mother's name: Unknown
    Place of death: Greta
    Age 75

SMITH - On the 19th November, at Whitethorn Flat, Greta, Ellen, the beloved wife of Thomas Smith, and mother of George Smith, of Greta, aged 76 years.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/10583575

SMITH, Thos
    Father's name: Unknown
    Mother's name: Unknown
    Place of death: Greta
    Age 75

SMITH - On the 30th January, at Greta, Thomas Smith, father of Geo. Smith, Esq., J.P., in his 75th year.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/10669793

Thomas Smith, late of Greta, farmer and grazier, who died on 30th January last, left by will dated 5th March, 1906, estate of the value of £6639 realty and £2551 personalty to his sister and relatives.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/196104815

The probate files have been digitised but not the actual will. I did enquire with PROV as to why it was not digitised and the answer was "We're working on new systems which we hope will be more consistent about the online presence of digital images. Hopefully these images that have not made it online will be in the near future."

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-...s-and-probates

The probate documents only mention the son George and his wife and children as being beneficiaries.

George is the only child that I can see born in Victoria to Thomas and Ellen.

Settling in

Thanks. This information is confirmed with our family history. I believe that Thomas and Samuel Smith’s parents were John Smith and Mary ? Still researching if there were other siblings and their address that I assume may be in Tottington. Research is always challenging.

Settling in

I have got to searching for siblings of Samuel and Thomas Smith born in Brooksbottom Walmersley 26/4/1814 and 1/3/1832. Almach suggested that the family of John and Mary Smith in census of 1841 showed: Rachel 20, Susannah 20, Jane 15, Mary 15, Ellen 13, and Thomas 9. There is no mention of Samuel but of course as he was 26 or 7 he maybe was residing elsewhere. I have found Rachel married George Fletcher on 18/1/1845. Witness was Wright Smith(unknown) and Susannah(sister). Also found Jane Smith married Thomas Hunt in 27/7/1845. Witness was Wright Smith(unknown) and Susannah(sister). We also know that Samuel married Alice Greenhalgh on 24/6/1834. Witness was Wm Walsh and Ann Smith(maybe Susannah sister). Found Ellen Smith born 1/5/1827 and died 15/6/1827. Mary Smith born 19/10/1826 buried 22/2/1854. Thomas born 1/3/1832 died in Greta Australia in 30/1/1908. I am still searching for details of Susannah without success. Any help confirming or adding to the details appreciated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123