Settling in

Thumbs up G'Day from Australia

Thanks for allowing me to join this forum. As I am retired I have now taken a serious interest in our family history. It started with my uncle Victor Pratt who lived in Rabaul and was killed by the Japanese when they invaded in 1942. I have then followed the Pratt line back to Bedfordshire. Also looking at the Smith's from Tottington some of who migrated to Australia in 1860's. I am trying to search for the Smith's who stayed in Tottington, Bury area. I also have only started to look at the Rose, Fletcher, Gollidge and Lewis families. I may have to live to 100 to complete that. My current research is the Smith line. James who came to Australia on the ship Compeer settled in Milawa Victoria for several years before shifting to Buffalo River where they stayed and I live. Lindsay

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Lindsay
    Retirement is wonderful for us genealogy addicts but thank goodness I don't have any Smiths, (or Jones) in my tree.
    If you need some help with a particular line choose a suitable forum, post all the info you have and tell us where you want to take the search. Shouldn't be too long before your friendly and knowledgeable members get on the case.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Thanks Christina. You are obviously just over the ditch from us. Need a bridge. Thanks for the encouragement on my searches. Already I have found lost cousins from the Pratt side of our family and some live close by. Other including one is a professor at Santford University in California and is a computer whiz. Interesting what you find.

Hi
    A bridge would have made moving to NZ in 2016 after 52 years in OZ a lot easier
    Rellies turn up in the most unexpected places don't they? It was whilst living in OZ that I discovered I wasn't the first one in our family to live there, my great great grandparents and son emigrated in 1886 and ggrandma died in Sydney of typhoid so ggrandfather took his son back to England. Then I repeated the journey via NZ.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs