Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Greetings to you all. Brit and Londoner here, with somewhat diverse heritage. I've previously done research on the German side of my family, with a lot of success, but have not been able to make much headway on the English & Irish sides of my family. The records seem rather sparse, or even abnormally absent in some cases.

In case any might have some insights... I am descended from the DePear/Depear/De Pear family, apparently of the southern Lincolnshire area (Holbeach/Whaplode), though birth and marriage records are proving almost impossible to find; I've had to rely purely on 19th century civil records until now. I'm starting to suspect the family was non-conformist, possibly even Huguenot given the name, though this is jut a wild guess.

I'm also researching the Revells and Powers families of Waterford, Ireland, which I have a little more information about, but still not a great deal. I believe the Revells name is Norman, though that connection is probably lost in the sands of time. I'm also looking into the Peagum family (a rare surname apparently) from Limerick, with no luck so far. Here's to hoping I find some distant relative on this website with whom I can connect!

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    Your research areas are diverse and so rewarding when successful in an area such as Germany.
    Research in Ireland is notoriously difficult with records sparse in some periods and places.
    I think it may be helpful if you take a look around the forums and decide which ancestral line you want to tackle first, post all the information you have and tell us what you want to find and our friendly helpful sleuths will soon be on the case.
    Christina

Added:- I see you are way ahead of me and have posted already.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you, Christina. I have a reasonably complete tree going back to the 1600s for my German side, so it's time to investigate my English and Irish roots now, about which I'm quite ignorant. (As it happens, it was a very pleasant surprise to be able to trace one of my German lines back to Henry III Landgrave of Hesse, and from there to medieval royalty of England and Scotland, but that's not quite what I meant by my British roots!)

I posted about an Irish ancestor a little earlier, and just now about an English one. I hope that's alright by forum etiquette.

Alex