Default can not find records

my grand-father james.garfield Clarkson born iowa u.s.a. to british parents who returned to Yorkshire England. 1st world war service can not be found, but have photo of him in royal flying corps uniform.any information/reccomendations for searches would be helpful.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    Any other information that you have about him would be useful to help him stand out from the crowd - as you might imagine, Clarkson is not the rarest of names, and people didn't always use their middle names.
    If you are not sure what would be useful, take a look at the message HERE which suggests ways that you can help us to help you. Do you know his age, his parents' names, that sort of thing?

There is no JG Clarkson on the list of RFC and other men transferring to the brand new Royal Air Force on 1 April 1918. There are, however 8 J Clarksons, any of whom could be him. He is not listed on the Commonwealth War Graves site, so he seems to have survived the War. The only WW1 medal index card (which tends to be the most complete list of WW1 servicemen) that I can find for any James Clarkson in the RFC is for a James William Clarkson.

Could you maybe post a copy of the photo? Don't make it too big or the system will reject it!

Famous for offering help & advice

James Garfield Clarkson was living in Darlington (Durham) in 1916 as there is a newspaper report of a 1916 conviction in which he is described as aged 30 and a labourer. Sentenced to 12 months. Census confirm him as born Iowa, parents Richard & Isabella.

The Shields Daily Gazette of 15 Jul 1904 also reports a JGC, lab, being sent to prison for 12 months for attempted assault in Darlington. I had to read it twice before I noticed that it was 1904!
    He told the Judge in 1916 that he had tried the pledge 4 times, and failed, but I can't find any more.

The RFC existed from 1912-1918. He was working as a lab in June 1916, so if he was in the RFC it must have been between 1912-1915ish.

Please post the photo!

Is that him in the 1911 census? James Clarkson, born N.America abt 1885. Farm lab in Durham.
    And the 1901 for Archdeacon Newton? JC, born N.America British Subject, farm serv. aged 18.

The whole family is in the 1891, but it's terribly faded:
    Richard 39 Yorkshire
    Isabella 38 ..
    2 eldest aged 13 & 11: Yorkshire. Next 2 aged 8, 6: Iowa, next one aged 4: Dakota (I think), last one (9 months) Durham.

There were also convictions in 1906 and 1912 for similar offences. He married in 1922.

Did he go back to America? There is a draft registration card for James Garfield Clarkson born 9 Jan 1883 - registered for the draft in December 1918, Iowa, giving his nearest relative as Mabel Thora Clarkson

EDIT: Scrap that - there seems to be two people of the same name. The one in the draft stayed there by the looks of it.