Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hi. New to British genealogy

Hi. I’ve been doing genealogy in the US for a number of years and have many lines developed. My grandparents came from Wigan area and I am thrilled to be working on those lines. Names I’m searching are Wilding, Saxon, Eckersley, Foster and many others. I was lucky enough on a trip to the Lakes to spend a day at the research facility in Wigan and, with the kind help of local administrators got a lot of records. What forums would be good for Wigan research? Thanks Ray

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Ray,
    Welcome to Brit-Gen.
    There is a sticky at the top of the Lancashire forum Lancashire Resources which gives a list of useful sites.

wiganworld has a lot of useful 'Stuff' including cemetery register transcriptions and two 'Communicate' message boards:- 'People' for help find details of relatives records and 'Places' same for locations around Wigan. I advise avoiding the other message boards, there was a lot of 'trolls' wasting valuble space and time stirring it the last time I visited the site for anything other than cemetery details.

lan-OPC has very good transcriptions of lancashire parish records but not complete for all churches.

LancashireBMD includes mothers maiden name in Birth records and is easier to use than the GRO site (no 2yr restriction on searches)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the info. I’m very excited to have found this site.