Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spires history

ancestry has the original image of the marriage for Charle's parents William and Maria.
    William Spiers, labourer
    Full Age
    Marriage Date 3 Feb 1848
    At Mickleton, Gloucestershire
    Father - William Spiers, labourer
    Spouse = Maria Barnett
    Witnesses - Thomas Spires and robert farley

looking at William's (father born 31 Aug 1826) baptism on ancestry his mother's name was Sarah.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you....what is the process for obtaining a copy of certificate ??

Hi
    Civil registration of births, marriages and deaths commenced on 1 July 1837 in England and Wales.
    FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/ is where you can search for details of BMD's which you can order from the
    GRO https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates
    The GRO Index now includes the mother's maiden name from 1837 to 1917. After this you use FreeBMD for this information.
    For BMD's prior to 1837 you need to find parish records. familysearch.org is a good source. There are also other free sites such as FreeReg however as they are free and information transcribed by volunteers they may not be a complete record of all parishes.
    Cyndi's list is "A comprehensive, categorized & cross-referenced list of links that point you to genealogical research sites online" both free and pay per view.
    https://www.cyndislist.com/

ancestry and Findmypast are two popular pay per view sites which have some common records and some exclusive to their own site. Both offer a two week free trial but if you decide to take advantage of these offers do remember that if you don't want your subscription to automatically renew you must, within 2 days of the expiry date, go to 'My account' and 'Personal details' where you will see a box where you can remove the automatic renewal option.
    Both ancestry and Findmypast have free library versions but whether one or both are available in your area you can find out by contacting your local library. I would think ancestry would be the one most likely to have the records you are looking for and you can see which records each site has by searching their A-Z of record sets.

I found the original parish image of William's baptism (born 31 Aug 1826) on ancestry. I haven't tried looking for his parent's marriage. If ancestry doesn't have it then familysearch.org would be my next place to look.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Below looks like your William in the 1841 census. There is also a Thomas here and a Thomas was a witness at William's marriage to Maria.
    In the 1841 census only the enumerators were supposed to mark down the ages of anyone 15 years and over to the nearest 5 (eg if you were 17 your age would be marked down to 15) Some enumerators did it some didn't.
    Unlike the following censuses the 1841 didn't record family relationships or a specific place of birth - just whether born in the county or not or whether born in Scotland/Ireland.
    Mickleton
    William Spirer 44 ag lab
    Sarah Spirer 44
    Thomas Spirer 20 No occupation shown
    William Spirer 15 No occupation shown
    John Spirer 12
    Hannah Spirer 10
    Sarah Spirer 7
    Elizabeth Spirer 4
    Lucy Spirer 1

We can't take it that Thomas is their eldest child, there may have been others who have already left home so when looking for a marriage widen the search parameters.
    Notice the wrong transcription of the surname, this is why it helps to use wild cards * when searching. Until I entered the surname as sp*re* and left the first name empty this record didn't show up.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12