Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Christina, the WW11 link seems a bit wonky. Did you mean this one?
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ond-world-war/

Pam
    Hi Pam
    this is the bit in my link to TNA that gives the link to Veterans UK site that I thought would help Dave but your link is more informative.

"Military service records for the Second World War are kept by the Ministry of Defence: see the Veterans UK website."

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Service Records are at MOD only, the Royal Artillery Museum will have regiment War Diaries, but you need his service records to find out which regiment/s he was in. Nothing is online either.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Hi Dave,
    As Pam said fairly early in this thread, you need to get a copy of his service record which, for reasons of privacy, are still held by the MOD (for everyone post 1921). Fragments of specific records are available in different places, but the full record is still with the MOD.

The reason that you can find things on one record provider (eg FMP) and not on another is that the data owners sell licenses to publish a dataset when they are ready to release it. If FMP buys a license for one sort of data, the the others (eg FWR or Ancestry) can’t put it on their sites. The same with FWR - the data that they have bought a license for cannot be published by the others. It’s fair enough - it’s expensive to get the data digitized and turned into a searchable database. Most has to be done by hand as the handwriting is beyond most text recognition systems.

The sooner that you order his records, the sooner you will have them - when I bought my Dad’s it took about 8 weeks. They’re busier right now because of the WW1 anniversaries. While you wait, you could look for more general information about his regiment.

It’s hard to be certain since your message does not include his name, but there is nobody of that number in the CWGC database, so I assume that he survived the war?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam,
    thanks for all the help you have giving me. My grandfather was not a P.O.W. I will do more digging when I have the time.
    Thanks Dave

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Robert,
    I have is service number but that is all. When i have done some digging all i can find is this

the name is stephen ward robson.

cheers Dave
    Last edited by Wackuk; 26-03-2018 at 8:16 AM. Reason: wrond sheet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi Dave

I forgot about that RA enlistment page, that gives you his service number - 1742242, which also is in the block allocation for Royal Artillery, so that shows you he enlisted in the RA. Note also the comment - RE and a date I cant read, so he was transferred to Royal Engineers at some time. So unless he was recommended or received a gallantry award, or died in the war, nothing else is available online.
    His service record will reveal more.
    regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Robert,
    the date is when he came home and did some work for the A.R.P. (air raid personal) 23.1.1945 there is a number after it which is 7346E dont know what this means.

cheers
    dave

You can apply to the MOD for his Service record.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Generally, all you need is a name and service number, but the more info you can give them, the better.

Once you find out his exact regiment, that usually unlocks more doors. You can find campaign papers, documenting when and where his regiment fought, etc, held at The National Archives.

If he was unfortunate enough to be a POW, then there are camp reports and release questionnaire also available at the TNA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12