Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Biddick family (help appreciated)

Hello to everyone. Not sure if I posted in the right area

I’m researching my mother’s fathers fathers line. His name was John Albany Biddick. He was British and his father was William, according to research I’ve made. He had four sons from his first marriage (Claud, John Albany, William and Octavius) and maybe a daughter Mary Ann (?) according to someone’s tree?
    I have read three of the boys went to NZ with William but Claud stayed behind due to deafness and being considered “mentally backward”. Three of the boys stayed in NZ and didn’t return to the Uk. I am not sure why William went back to England without his boys but he didn’t stay in NZ. I’m u sure on what is correct or not or why he went back without them and where did they get help. I’m not sure how old these boys were.

Someone wrote that William died due to a fall and he had renal and valvular disease. Which is confusing me because according to some research I’ve done he went to the Devon County Asylum with Claud and by what I’ve read is buried on the grounds there. He died two months after Claud in 1904. Some records says he died in Cornwall and some said Devon.

I don’t know anything else regarding William and his family apart from what it says on the treverton website (forgot the link to it). And the st-issey website https://st-issey-folk.co.uk/opc/getpe...=St_Issey_Folk
    There is a photo I have of him and one I found on the family tree website. One photo of his first wife Dorcas I have too ..there used to be one online but it’s gone now.

I’m also wanting to find relatives of the four boys apart from John Albany. This means Claud, Octavius and William. I know who they married and where Octavius and William are buried. Did they have kids?

William Wood Biddick 20yrs; John Albany Biddick 18yrs. Octavius Biddick 16yrs left Plymouth 3 Nov 1894, on the ship Doric destined for Wellington NZ, their father is not with them on the shipping list.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

William BIDDICK m. Dorcas Ann WOOD 1873 Okehampton, Devon Q4 5B 725

William Wood BIDDICK b. 1874 Bodmin Q3 5C 93
    John Albany BIDDICK b. 1876 Bodmin, Cornwall Q2 5C 96
    Octavius BIDDICK b. 1878 Bodmin Q2 5C 100
    Claud Arthur BIDDICK b. 1879 Bodmin Q3 5C 90 All mother's maiden name WOOD

There is a Mary Annie BIDDICK b. 1873 St Columb. Cornwall Q2 5C 101 but mother's maiden name is SANDREY

Peter

A family tree on Ancestry has William James Biddick born 18 May 1906 • Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand. His parents: Octavius and Rose Ugenia Hillyer.

William James Biddick married Margaret Mary Fagan on 27th Dec 1933, the tree owner has this marriage reference New Zealand Marriage Cert Ref No. 1933/8498
    Alma

Claud BIDDICK d. 1904 St Thomas, Devon aged 25 Q1 5B 53
    William BIDDICK d. 1904 St Thomas, Devon aged 63 (so born 1840/1) Q2 5B 44

The Devon County Lunatic Asylum (DCLA) was located in Exminster which was within the St Thomas registration district.

Peter

Both William and Claud appear on the list of burials at DCLA with actual dates of burial:

https://www.genuki.
    org.uk/big/eng/DEV/AsylumBurials/Surnames-B

Peter

Both William and Claud also appear on the list of admissions to DCLA:

https://www.genuki.
    org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Asylum/Surnames-B

Peter

He had a very young 2nd wife.

1901, Woolfardisworthy, RG13; Piece: 2165; Folio: 56; Page: 6
    William Biddick 60, corn miller and farmer, St Issey
    Laura Biddick 23, wife, Crantock, Cornwall,
    Charles[Claud?] Biddick 21, son, Egloshayle, Cornwall, feeble-minded
    Joseph Biddick 2, son, Woolfardisworthy, Devon,
    Lina Hooper 15, sister in law, St Issey,

Marriages Sep 1898 . Bideford, 5b 894, William Biddick/Laura Brokenshire Hooper

It seems Joseph went to NZ too

Name: Joseph Hooper Biddick
    Death Date: 14 Sep 1996
    Cemetery: Hamilton Park Cemetery
    Burial or Cremation Place: Hamilton, Hamilton City, Waikato, New Zealand
    Last edited by almach; 24-03-2018 at 1:26 AM. Reason: Grammatical correction
    Alma

Joseph Biddick (child) appears to be unaccompanied. Left London for Wellington 28 May 1909 on the ship Athentic
    Alma

It seems Joseph's mother did go to NZ
    Name: Laura Brokenshire Bunting
    Birth Date: 29 Dec 1877
    Death Date: 11 Sep 1937
    Cemetery: Hamilton East Cemetery
    Burial or Cremation Place: Hamilton, Hamilton City, Waikato, New Zealand

Laura Brokenshire Biddick married Edward John Bunting 1926 NZ
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast