Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

GRO Death Index Record- Gertie JAFFER age 66 Death June qtr 1940 Leeds 9b 372

There is a 1930 record for her on Findmypast but I can't see her in the 1939 Records.

Phillip

This is a very long shot- Free BMD Marriage Index Gertie PREUSKIE and also Gertie PRENSKIE and Gertrude Preuskie all have the same index record number June qtr 1902 Leeds 9b 969. There are 3 potential grooms Jack Gordon, Myer Rubenstein, Leber Laboshitz.
    Ancestry.Com has 1 listing of a Myer Rubenstein marrying Libba Salvontski and the 1911 shows them living in Leeds. Interestingly, there appears to be no further reference to a Leber Laboshitz in any records I have currently seen in the UK.
    Did this Leber marry Gertie aka Gertrude and if so, did he change his name to Goodman Jaffer?

It would prove interesting to solve the origin of Goodman and where his original birth record might be. The 1911 Census for Goodman Jaffah indicates b Russia and the Goodman Jaffer age in 1916 at death was 35 giving a dob circa 1881 and born Liverpool. Are they one in the same? What happened to Leber and Gertie?

Phillip

I like that possibility Phillip. As you well know many Jewish people 'anglicised' their names OR changed them in the lead up to WW1. I am friends of a few of the Leeds Jewish community most of whom now have a different surname to their ancestral German 'sounding' original surname.
    Alma

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12