Abbreviation

Default What birth certs. to order?

Hello forum members.

I need to try and order a birth certificate for my great uncle George Smith.

He was born in 1898 and his parents were William Smith and Emily Kate Cheese.

On the 1901 census he is shown as being born in Hammersmith. The family were living at 20 Askew Crescent Hammersmith.

On the 1911 census it gives his place of birth as Agnes Road Acton. The family were then living at Valetta Road in Acton.

I know potentially I could be looking at ordering quite a few certificates!! The joys of researching Smiths.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Reputation beyond repute

I know potentially I could be looking at ordering quite a few certificates!!
    We've never had to do that! If you know the mother's maiden name, you just order a certificate on that basis. GRO do the checking.

Now the new GRO index - which includes the mother's maiden name - is available on the GRO web site, you can easily look up the registration.

I've had a quick glance but can't see a likely birth with mother's maiden name of Cheese. Perhaps your eyes are better than mine,

Abbreviation

Oh thank you Peter, I didn't know that! Makes things easier (well hopefully it will if I can find it).

Hi
    I have tried to find the relevant entry on the GRO index but there isn't one with the mother's maiden name Cheese. I looked up Emily Kate's reg (George's sister born c1885) and hers is there with mmn Cheese. However May and Maude are there but May is Florence May and Maude is Alice Maude so I left out a first name and just searched under Smith mmn Cheese. Still no result. This has led me to consider that maybe George was the illegitimate son of one of William and Kate's daughters and was registered with the mmn Smith. There are 3 or so registrations without the mmn which usually indicates it is the same as the child's.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Abbreviation

Hi Christina
    That is a strong possibility. I searched the GRO index and found my grandad, his brother Harold Charles and several sisters, but nothing for George. The search continues!

Growing old Disgracefully

"I need to try and order a birth certificate for my great uncle George Smith.

He was born in 1898 and his parents were William Smith and Emily Kate Cheese." Quote

If you ring/ask the GRO for a birth cert for George Smith
    born about 1898 and mothers maiden name MUST be Emily Kate Cheese, they will charge you but if they can not find one they will refund your money to you.

Growing old Disgracefully

Did your George die in France in the war. ?

Abbreviation

Yes he did. I have a photo of him and have been told that by the look of the cap badge he served in the RA.
    I've promised my dad for years that I'd try and find out more about George. I remember that my dad had the telegram that was sent to the family when George was reported as missing. Of course we can't remember any of the information on it, or where it's gone!
    I've been looking through the WW1 records on An**stry to see what I could find, which is why I thought it would be a good idea to get hold of George's birth certificate to see if he had any other names.

Reputation beyond repute

I remember that my dad had the telegram that was sent to the family when George was reported as missing.
    I wish you had mentioned that in your first message. Perhaps you didn't realise how significant it is.

Search for him on the Commonwealth War Graves site and the "Soldiers died" record set (on Ancestry and elsewhere).

When you have identified him, please get back to us with the details.

Abbreviation

Hi Peter,
    Before I posted my message I had already tried searching for him on the CWG site and could find no obvious matches. Also on the "soldiers died" on the Ancestry site. That is why I thought I'd try and find his birth certificate to see if he had any other names which might help with the search.