Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help please

Peter,
    Thanks. I think this is a discussion between you and Jomoti. My main interest is establishing whether my Grandfather (WG Curwood 7048/210725) was the same man as WG Curwood service number 633699.

Regards

ian

Famous for offering help & advice

Sorry, yes, I knew what I meant but probably just confused things.

SueNSW

Quote Originally Posted by Ian William View Post
    My main interest is establishing whether my Grandfather (WG Curwood 7048/210725) was the same man as WG Curwood service number 633699.
    Coming into this late but I would say it is almost - actually absolutely - certain that they are one and the same. Bringing all the previous info into some sort of chronological order:

1. When he joined 1/20th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (Blackheath & Woolwich) - they were part of the Territorial Force and as such, men were allocated 4 digit numbers - in his case 7048. The well respected Army Service Numbers blog suggests he was allocated the number in the latter part of 1916
    6815 joined on 15th August 1916
    8006 joined on 21st December 1916

2. When the Territorial Force Regiments/Battalions were renumbered in 1917, the 20th Londons did so within the range 630001 to 650000. This ties in with his being redesignated as 633699. These six digit numbers start appearing on men's service records and medal index cards in January 1917 but in those obviously non-computerised days, records took time to be updated. War Office casualty lists also took a while to be collated and printed -and he was still considered to be 633699 of the London Regiment in the list dated in January 1918.

3. When the final Rolls were prepared for the issue of medals - in his case in September 1920, the Battalion had effectively morphed into the 4th Battalion of the Royal West Kent Regiment - also part of the Territorial Force, where he was allocated one of the numbers in their 1917 renumbering sequence (200001 - 240000) - 210725

Hope this clarifies things a bit

Cheers
    Sue

Thank you Sue for taking the time to do this summary. It certainly clarifies it for me. Thank you again
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

My main interest is establishing whether my Grandfather (WG Curwood 7048/210725) was the same man as WG Curwood service number 633699.
    I'm not sure what you've found under 633699 but I think it's the record set called "Military Hospitals Admissions and Discharge Registers WW1"

I stand ready to be corrected but that appears to be one sub-series out of many in National Archives series MH106.

Does this imply that there are other records relating to soldier 633699 elsewhere in series MH106?

I have no idea what the answer to that question is but I would have thought that you ought to be finding out the answer and possibly following it up at the National Archives. That would surely be the best way of confirming that this is indeed your man.

Hi Sue,

Many thanks indeed. That's brilliant, and really clear. I now feel confident that 633699 is my grandfather. I am very grateful to you for taking the time to analyse all this for me.

Best wishes

Ian

Hi Peter,

I found a hospital record (on Forces War Records) showing he was in hospital for 5 days for tonsilitis. (Surprised they pulled him out of the lines for tonsilitis when men were suffering such severe injuries, but I know it's very debilitating): unfortunately I can't access the document at the moment as their site seems to be down (since Sunday). Thanks for your message about MH106, being a naive investigator that's all news to me.

Regards

Ian

The record you found on FWR is from MH106/473.
    MH106/473 can be found at The National Archives in Kew, and contains First World War Representative Medical Records of Servicemen from No. 11 Casualty Clearing Station.
    W G Curwood was admitted from the 5th London Field Ambulance.
    Having worked my way through The National Archives site this tells you about the record set for the No 11 Casualty clearing Station

I had no trouble accessing FWR.

I couldn't find any other records for W. G., William, William George Curwood but I am never greatly confident when using the TNA site.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123