Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think this is them in 1851 with surname mistranscribed

HO107; Piece: 2394; Folio: 98; Page: 14;
    Living Great Lumley
    John Ramsher 58, Coal Miner, Northumberland
    Sarah Ramsher 53, Durham
    Mary Ann Ramsher 16, Houghton le Spring
    Martha Ramsher 12, Coxoe

Possibly the first Martha died, and was common practice another daughter be named after her
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by 5tephen View Post
    Just realised I have explored this Mary Ann Ramshaw in the past. I have her in 1841, 1851 and 1861 census. Her monther was Sarah Humble and she married John Patterson in 1857.

I don't have a record of why I abandoned this line of thought. Perhaps I found her in later census records. I'll follow it through again and make a decent record of why I discounted it in case I go back again in another few years!

I really have been going around in circles with this.
    RAMSHAW, MARTHA HUMBLE
    GRO Reference: 1839 J Quarter in DURHAM AND LANCHESTER Volume 24 Page 64
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

That 1851 census is the one I have used in my draft tree for for this line. It does look very good - there is no sign of Mary Ann Ramshaw after 1861. I believe she married John Paterson b. 03 May 1835 Edinburgh in 1857. I have no record of them having children. They appear in the 1861 census as living in Bishopwearmouth. John was a seaman. I beleive this census was taken on 07 Apr 1861. She married William in High Southwhick (very close to Bishopwearmouth) on 9 Jun 1862 just over a year later. No sign of a suitable death for John. I guess if he was a Seaman he could have died anywhere though.

Mary Ann Ramshaw's father John was coal miner. The John Pattison on the marriage cert was listed as a coal miner. I guess it could be a simple case of a mistake on the marriage record.

Do you know if it is normal for someone that has been married before to use her birth name or married name at the second marriage?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5tephen View Post
    That 1851 census is the one I have used in my draft tree for for this line. It does look very good - there is no sign of Mary Ann Ramshaw after 1861. I believe she married John Paterson b. 03 May 1835 Edinburgh in 1857. I have no record of them having children. They appear in the 1861 census as living in Bishopwearmouth. John was a seaman. I beleive this census was taken on 07 Apr 1861. She married William in High Southwhick (very close to Bishopwearmouth) on 9 Jun 1862 just over a year later. No sign of a suitable death for John. I guess if he was a Seaman he could have died anywhere though.

Mary Ann Ramshaw's father John was coal miner. The John Pattison on the marriage cert was listed as a coal miner. I guess it could be a simple case of a mistake on the marriage record.

Do you know if it is normal for someone that has been married before to use her birth name or married name at the second marriage?

Thanks
    Looking at the 'evidence' presented (particularly her children having MMN Ramshaw) it looks like the registrar in 1862 transposed her maiden name and married name, it happened! It's likely Mary Ann couldn't read and therefore wouldn't be aware of the mistake. Did she sign the marriage certificate or was it marked with a cross?
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Looking at the 'evidence' presented (particularly her children having MMN Ramshaw) it looks like the registrar in 1862 transposed her maiden name and married name, it happened! It's likely Mary Ann couldn't read and therefore wouldn't be aware of the mistake. Did she sign the marriage certificate or was it marked with a cross?
    Both William and Mary Ann signed the register but both signatures look very much like the registrar's writing! the witnesses are just crossed with the works next 'the mark of William Robinson' and 'the mark of Dorothy Robinson'.

Ancestry has this database "UK, Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths at Sea, 1844-1890"

Two John Patterson's died at sea in 1861
    One on the ship Lena, died off Lowestoft 5th Sept 1861
    The other on the ship 'Mirage' but I don't think he's the one, however I suggest you look for yourself.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. I guess I could order the 1857 marriage cert from GRO and compare the writing of the signature. It does look very much the registrar's hand though. Slightly different letter R.

It does look very much the registrar's hand though
    I'd say it's it's definitely the same hand. Could be a handwritten copy of the original.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks very much for your thoughts on this. The Mary Ann Ramshaw you came up with does seem like a very good fit. I'm pretty sure she married John Paterson in 1857. I guess the regsitrar could have mixed up her married name and her father's name/her birth name.

There are names in this Ramshaw family like Edward and Martha that don't appear in this ancestry until this marriage. Mary Ann basically named her children after her siblings. Even to the point where Ramshaw was introduced as a given name.

I'll do some more work on this and post an update over the next few days.

Many thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12