Starting to feel at home

Default Finding Irish ancestry

Hi all

I’ve been trying to find where abouts in Cork Ireland my Ancestors came from.

My 2x great grandfather Thomas lynch was born in cork, Ireland about 1854. His Fathers name was Thomas Lynch according to his marriage certificate. His mothers name as Catherine who appears on the 1891 cencus for newport wales.
    The earliest record I have for Thomas is a 1877 marriage certificate aged 22 to A Margaret Donovan in Newport wales fathers name also Thomas Lynch.

Then theres the 1881 cencus Thomas is 26 living in Newport it says born in Ireland.

1891 cencus Thomas is 24 form cork Ireland living in Newport wales and his mother Catherine is living with them as a widow from cork Ireland aged 60.

1901. Cencus Thomas is 43 from Ireland living now in Cardiff.

1911 cencus Thomas is 52 from cork Ireland living back in Newport and has his cousin staying who is also called Thomas Lynch. Thomas was born in Merthyr tidfil his fathers name was Morris who would have been Thomas’s uncle.

Then there’s a death certificate for Thomas in 1919 aged 60 from Newport wales.

I have found a Thomas lynch married to a Catherine Ormond in Ballymacoda, cork Ireland. With a son called Thomas.

Any ideas if this might be accurate. As you can see Thomas’s date of birth jumps around a little but I can’t quite be sure. Any help would be great.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by C lynch View Post
    The earliest record I have for Thomas is a 1877 marriage certificate aged 22 to A Margaret Donovan in Newport wales fathers name also Thomas Lynch.
    Did he give an occupation for his father or was he noted as deceased?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    Did he give an occupation for his father or was he noted as deceased?
    It does say he was deceased but it says that he was a Wharf labourer.

Starting to feel at home

It does say he was deceased but it says that he was a Wharf labourer.
    Sorry. It does also state that Thomas himself was a Wharf labourer. Not sure if they may have come over to wales as a family or his parents stayed in Ireland. I couldn’t find anything to suggest that they did come over.

Dundee10

.....his cousin staying who is also called Thomas Lynch. Thomas was born in Merthyr tidfil his fathers name was Morris who would have been Thomas’s uncle.
    Looking at the birth registrations the wife of Morris was Ellen WELSH and they married in Wales.

Marriages Sep 1879
    Edwards Elizabeth
    LEWIS Richard
    Lynch Morris
    Welsh Ellen
    Bedwelty 11a 131

Perhaps a second marriage for Morris. The father's name on that certificate might help to find a baptism for Morris and at least establish exactly where in Cork they were from.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    Looking at the birth registrations the wife of Morris was Ellen WELSH and they married in Wales.

Marriages Sep 1879
    Edwards Elizabeth
    LEWIS Richard
    Lynch Morris
    Welsh Ellen
    Bedwelty 11a 131

Perhaps a second marriage for Morris. The father's name on that certificate might help to find a baptism for Morris and at least establish exactly where in Cork they were from.
    Hi Dundee 10

Thanks for the info. I hadn’t found Morris and Ellen’s marriage record before now. Do you think Morris re married?

Hi

I found four baptisms in Cork for Thomas Lynch 1854 the years ranged from 1853 to 1857 but only one with a mother Catherine
    First name(s) Thomas
    Last name Lynch
    Birth year -
    Baptism year 1854
    Baptism date 23 Jul 1854
    Parish Ballymacoda and Ladysbridge
    Diocese Cloyne
    County Cork
    Country Ireland
    Father's first name(s) Thomas
    Father's last name Lynch
    Mother's first name(s) Cathr.
    Mother's last name Ormond

Peanut

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Hi

I found four baptisms in Cork for Thomas Lynch 1854 the years ranged from 1853 to 1857 but only one with a mother Catherine
    First name(s) Thomas
    Last name Lynch
    Birth year -
    Baptism year 1854
    Baptism date 23 Jul 1854
    Parish Ballymacoda and Ladysbridge
    Diocese Cloyne
    County Cork
    Country Ireland
    Father's first name(s) Thomas
    Father's last name Lynch
    Mother's first name(s) Cathr.
    Mother's last name Ormond

Peanut
    Hi Peanut I think this is one. I’m going to order up the birth certificate of thomas’s Uncle Morris like dundee10 said and then trace it back to be sure. Thanks for your help.