Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

#30 On our trip to Australia in 2008 we spent a few days in Sydney, and whilst on the train picked up a copy of the MX News freebie paper for 23rd October. Tucked away was a little report of a pensioner losing her battle with the local police over allegations that they had damaged her signed copy of a photograph of Adolph Hitler, which they had seized during a criminal investigation. I wondered in which part of Australia this had happened, and then looked further down the report. The lady in question lived in a village called Clandown, near Bath and not more than a couple of miles from where we live in Radstock. Ten thousand miles to get a piece of local news!

Macwil,
    Thomas and Noel married Monday, 10th June 1946 at West Presbyterian Church, Ballymena. Am sending a Private Message.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Macwil,
    Thomas and Noel married Monday, 10th June 1946 at West Presbyterian Church, Ballymena. Am sending a Private Message.
    Thank You. PM received.

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

A little late with this...........
    One of my little exercises has been to write up a brief history of my wife's grandfather, Edward Smith (1869-1955), one time Mayor of South Shields (1921-23) and a Centenary Freeman of the Borough (1950).

One of my other interests is Brass Banding; I played for some years for the Bath Spa Band and one of the cornet players was Tom, who joined the band just before I left and I did not really get to know him.

Many years on and I joined another local Brass Group, and who should be sitting on the cornet bench; yes Tom.
    It was clear that he had some North Country connections and I eventually discovered that he had lived his early years in South Shields.
    This week I was sorting through my files and came across a copy of the piece which I had written about Edward Smith and thought "I wonder if Tom would be interested" So I sent it, via Postman Pat as the file was rather too large for e-mail.

Tom rang today. Thank you, yes he found my piece very interesting and brought back memories of his time living in South Shields.
    "On page 22 you mention that Alderman Edward Smith was made Freeman of the Borough. Well on that occasion Alderman Charles Smith was also made Freeman of the Borough. He was also Mayor of the Borough (1936)

"He was my grandfather".........................
    Last edited by radstockjeff; 15-03-2019 at 8:39 AM. Reason: typos

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post

. . .
    Now I have another mystery. Did his parents go to America or Canada or is that another family member?
    I favour the latter, the prime suspect being the son of the person who started the kerfuffle, my g'dad's elder brother!

. . .
    UPDATE
    No they didn't, nor did the son of my g'uncle.
    I found he and his mother died in late 1971 living in the family home in Pemberton, Wigan, Lancashire where they moved to after the father/husband, James Wilson Berry, died in 1921.

That still leaves me with a mystery. Just why (who) did my g'dad visit (in) Canada so often?

A fountain of knowledge

Talking She Strikes AGAIN

Serendipity has struck for the THIRD time.
    I was perusing Wigan World and a post there reminded me to check the Find A Grave website, I entered my grandmother's name and was surprised to find a photo had been added last November. They are buried in St Paul's, Goose Green (Wigan), which, coincidently, was the subject of the post I was reading.

Brilliant, Macwil.

I find Wigan World very useful as I had ancestors who lived there, I found graves for them and other helpful info.
    Alma

A fountain of knowledge

Wink It gets even better.

The same poster has put up a link to St Paul's website resources page where they have downloadable pdfs of the graveyard map and the Burial Register transcripts which gives Entry no., Name, age, DoD (erratic), Burial date and plot no.
    I've already found my great grandparents' entries.

St Paul's Resources

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234