Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Caton

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Sarah Caton

Hi Im really stuck on trying to find the death for a Sarah Brown/Caton she married John Caton 1802 Mile End London, Im sure they had 2 children John 1803 and William 1804 but other people searching the same treeline have entered 1804 as her death! but I cannot find it anywhere, John Caton Remarried a Martha Allcock in 1813 went on to have around 10 children unusual to wait 9 years before marrying again,
    any help would be greatly appricated Im not even sure John Married both of them! John Caton born 1782

regards
    Lizziejane

Famous for offering help & advice

Why do you think that the two marriages are the same John Caton?

John & Sarah married at St Dunstan, All Saints. Both signed X
    John & Martha married at St Leonards, Bromley – John was a bachelor & able to sign his name.

There is a baptism at St Dunstan 21 Jan 1810 (born 16 Nov 1809) Ann Elizabeth d/o John Catton of Poplar, Mariner & Sarah - could this be the same couple?

There is a death on 7 Nov 1843 of a John Cotton aged 62 of the Brig Agnes, London. Died Oporto, Portugal

I've just had a quick look at one or two of the baptisms to John & Martha, and John is recorded as a Mariner of Poplar, so it quite possibly is the same John. The baptisms were at St Dunstan & All Saints, Stepney.

A possible burial for Sarah is therefore 10 Mar 1811 at Wycliffe Chapel, Commercial Road, Philpot Street, Stepney. No age is given, but it would fit with the 1813 marriage to Martha (the number 6 to the right of Sarah's name in the burial register refers to money - 6s).

Hi
    Thank you so much for taking the time to look, So you are thinking down the same line that John married both and Sarah passing in 1811 (thanks for finding that info) and him remarrying 1813 seem more logical
    regards
    Lj

It looks plausible, yes. Pity they're nowhere to be found in 1841.

FindMyPast (transcriptions)
    London Docklands & East End Baptisms

Parish - St. Matthew, Bethnal Green; Church Address - St. Matthew's Row

John, born 26 Aug 1803, bap. 30 Sep 1803, parents John and Sarah Caton
    William, born 25 Dec 1804, bap. 20 Jan 1805, parents John and Sarah Caton
    Susanna, born 14 April or 1 Jul 1811**, bap. 21 Jul 1811, parents John and Sarah Caton

The Susanna birth is later than the burial identified at #3 above.

** FMP has 2 transcribed records - only the date of birth differs.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

There are 2 further births in 1813 and 1815 for a John and Sarah at St. Matthews - John's occupation Loom Broker
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Right although that really helps but I'm now in another sticky moment with these Caton family, I'm trying to find out now that you have highlighted the 1815 Birth, I have a John Caton born 3 March 1753 to a William Guillaume Caton and a Susannah Macaree,
    and a John Caton 1803 Mariner married a Martha Allcock 15 feb 1813 St Leonard St Mary Bromley Tower Hamlets.
    Part of the family tree there is a Charles Henry Caton 1863. which we know is correct, his Father is John Abraham Caton 1829
    so which John is John Abrahams father!! I'm not really sure Both Johns 1753 and John 1803 fit into the same family
    gosh I hope this makes sense
    any help would really help me sort out this puzzle
    regards
    Lj

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
    Right although that really helps but I'm now in another sticky moment with these Caton family, I'm I have a John Caton born 3 March 1753 to a William Guillaume Caton and a Susannah Macaree,
    and a John Caton 1803 Mariner married a Martha Allcock 15 feb 1813 St Leonard St Mary Bromley Tower Hamlets.
    I'm not sure I understand, are you suggesting that John Caton 1803 could have married in 1813, aged 10?

No sorry for it being a bit of a muddle I'm trying to see if John Caton 1782and John Caton 1803 are connected!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast