Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    Sorry Pam, not true. The SEARCH DOCUMENT Application Part 2, Under the heading You must include: Note b. states ' A copy of the serviceman's/woman's Death Certificate if he/she died following discharge from the service. ( my bold emphasis)
    As the OP's uncle was still serving at the time of his demise a Death Cert is NOT required.

Regards,
    Malcolm
    That's what happens when 99.999999% of the questions you answer apply to someone who's 'retired' from service, rather than died during it.

Thanks for correcting me, Malcolm.
    (Second thing I've learnt today.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Gortonboy, As I was born in Chorlton cum Hardy your post immediately caught my eye. Anyway thanks again

Thanks to everyone who answered my request for help . It’s very good that a complete novice can get help so easily. So thanks again.

Where did the info on the plane and crash come from.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivanmf View Post
    Where did the info on the plane and crash come from.
    The Obituary placed by the family in the MEN Published: Saturday 13 January 1945
    Newspaper: Manchester Evening News preview: . O’BRIEN. —In January, 1945 (result of flying accident), Sergt.-Navigator ALAN O’BRIEN (R.A.F.V.R.)

You can view this on either Findmypast or the Britishnewpaperarchives....sometimes the latter has a cheap monthly offer, or contact Manchester central library, they may e mail you the full obit you have the date of issue....what I did note was that the obit doesn't carry a date of death so is this questionable...did your Uncle go missing

Maybe a trip is in order to Southern Cemetery and the 'new' library, then there is St Bede's book to look at!!!!

SueNSW

There is a little more info on the International Bomber Command Centre website -

Reason for Loss:
    T/O 2115 for night circuits and landings. At about 2320, according to one of the screened instructors, observing the night flying, the engine note decreased and from a height estimated between 200 and 300 feet, the Wellington dived into the sea some 500 yards off the airfield.

The page lists his colleagues who were lost with him, along with a little more information.

https://internationalbcc.co.uk/losses/obrien-aa/

Cheers
    Sue

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by SueNSW View Post
    There is a little more info on the International Bomber Command Centre website -

Reason for Loss:
    T/O 2115 for night circuits and landings. At about 2320, according to one of the screened instructors, observing the night flying, the engine note decreased and from a height estimated between 200 and 300 feet, the Wellington dived into the sea some 500 yards off the airfield.

The page lists his colleagues who were lost with him, along with a little more information.

https://internationalbcc.co.uk/losses/obrien-aa/

Cheers
    Sue
    Good Find and interesting site

This is an extract from his records "Training of night circuits and landings. At about 2320, according to one of the screened instructors, observing the night flying, the engine note decreased and from a height estimated between 200 and 300 feet, the Wellington dived into the sea some 500 yards off the airfield, no crew survived."

Such incidents have at best killed crew by impact as the aircraft impacted the water. Being so close to the the airfield I should imagine rescue attempts were unsuccessful.

Thanks Sue. The info was brilliant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast