Barsby

Default Varnish family, Leckhampton

Looking for any information on the Varnish family from Leckhampton. John Varnish, son of John Sr. and Mary Ann, c. 1837, may be an uncle of my g-grandmother, Ellen. I have not been able to trace the family past the 1881 census nor before the 1851 census. If you are reseaching this name or have information I would like to hear from you.

Thanks for your interest. Regards, Brenda

Ann AW

Thumbs up Varnish family - Leckhampton

Hi Brenda,
    Your posting was a long time ago and you may already have sorted this out, I have found these Varnish's in 1841. They were the only Varnish's in Glos

Leckhampton HO 107/353/18
    John Varnish 55 Ind All born in County
    William Varnish 20
    John Varnish 5
    Sarah Varnish 20

Kempsford HO 107/352/9
    Sarah Chesterman 80 Ind All born out of County
    Mary Varnish 40
    Ann Varnish 2

Regards,
    Ann

Barsby

Default Varnish family

Thanks Ann.

I have gotten that far myself. Been a real stuggle to find any trace of this family, other than what you have.
    John Jr. is listed in the 1901 census but I am stuck finding what happened to the family.

Thanks again for your kind interest. Love to hear from you if you run across anything else.

Brenda

sadler

Default Varnish/Leckhampton/Glos

Hello.

The National Burial Index has two only records for Varnish in Leckhamton
    and one in Fairford, Glos [see below]

The entire NBI2 lists only 12 Varnish surname inc the Glos references.

Mike.

30 April 1827
    Mary Varnish
    Gloucestershire Fairford, St Mary

14 Aug 1847
    Mary VARNISH
    Gloucestershire Leckhampton, St Peter

30 Mar 1848
    Louisa VARNISH
    Gloucestershire Leckhampton, St Peter

janbooth

Default John VARNISH

Do you have John and Mary and family in the 1891 census. They are in Cheltenham on RG12/2048, folio 107, page 18. If you would like details let me know. There are marriages on FreeBMD for the 3 children that survived, namely Arthur, John and Sarah and also one for daughter Miriam who is in the 1901 census.

Janet.

Barsby

Thank you Mike, for the information on Mary, 1827. I had no data on the family pre 1841 and now I may be able to link the background of where the family came from.
    You have quoted only female names, is there no male listings at this time?
    If you have time and wish to contact me off site my address is

Thanks again for this info.
    Brenda.
    Last edited by Guest; 21-10-2007 at 4:45 PM. Reason: removed email address

Barsby

Thank you Janet for this info about the family of Varnish's. I didn't check for Miriam since I would have thought she would have carried a married name in 1901.

Please use the above address to contact me. I would like to hear if there is more I can find about this extended family.
    Thanks for now, Brenda.

I know this post is very old but hopefully someone is still researching!!!.

I’m researching the Rowley family and one of my great grandads sister Harriet married a William Frederick Varnish (b1861) who I think has a connection to Gloucestershire. Harriet and William had a son William Frederick (b1892), he had 3 children Wallace, Audrey and Gordon.

I think that Wallace may have been involved with trading with Canada and appears on quite a few passenger lists to Canada in the 1950s. I noticed that the opening poster Brenda was located in Canada and I am intrigued to see if there is any connection with Wallace Varnish and Brenda's relations.

I cant trace a UK death for Wallace so I am assuming that he settled in Canada. Wallace may have had a son Lionel whose name appears on one of the passenger lists to Canada alongside Wallace.

Thanks

Anne