Thread: MBE (Military)

Famous for offering help & advice

Default MBE (Military)

My Great Uncles Military Service Record(RAF) has two entries of significance.

M in D (Mentioned in Dispatches) 02 June 1943
    M B E (Military) 14 July 1945.

My Uncle wishes to know what the MBE was for and to see a citation. There is an announcement of the MBE in the London Gazette but no further information given. The Military service record from the 01 Feb 1942 to 19 Aug 1945 has no information as he was on the 'Special Duty List' 'Eng with British Military Mission Egypt on appt'.
    There is apparently a letter from King George - would the information be on that?

Any suggestions where he might find the citation details?

Thanks

Mitch

Hi Mitch
    RAF records are very thin on information, (I know from my own), but if he was on special ops, there might be nothing in the 'official' records.
    There is somewhere that the citation can be obtained from, but at present I can't remember.
    Sometimes local papers obtained a copy of it, have you been through them?

Hope you find out what it was for

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Have a read here as a guide - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...lantry-medals/

regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Reputation beyond repute

The MBE wouldn't be for a single specific act but for being an all round good egg and of course "one of us".

Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)

Awarded for an outstanding achievement or service to the community. This will have had a long-term, significant impact and stand out as an example to others.

There would be a different emphasis for the military version (eg armed forces rather than community)

For mentions in despatches, you might find something in National Archives series AIR2

For example:
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ro=any&_st=adv