Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weddings only 3 weeks apart.

Hi I'm not exactly sure which forum this belongs in so will place it in the General Forum.
    Would anyone know what could be happening here?
    While researching the British side of my Anglo-Icelandic wife's tree I found a marriage for her maternal gggrandfather Henry Okes Bradford MRCS. This marriage on 18th January 1838 by licence at St.Pancras Parish Church in London between Henry Okes Bradford,batchelor,surgeon of Fleet Street, father Robert Bradford and Frances Knight ,spinster,of Egremont Place,father John Knight. This marriage was also registered St.Pancras Q1/1838 1/204. In light of what happened in Henry's later life I set out to trace details of the now Frances Bradford and was surprised to find the following marriage at the same church just 3 weeks later on 1st February 1838. Marriage after Banns between Joseph Burt Pearce bachelor,gent,of Egremont Place,father William Pearce and Frances Bradford,widow of Egremont Place,father John Knight. This marriage was civilly registered St.Pancras Q1/1838 1/210. Both marriages were officiated by the same person and shared a witness. After this Henry Okes Bradford from 1841 onwards cohabited with Angelina Davenport Why until eventually marrying her in 1853.

Did Frances, by any chance, died in or just before 1853?

BTW Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Hi I have Frances Burt Pearce Death Q4 1848 Pancras 1/254 Thanks for the welcome

Famous for offering help & advice

This was in Bell's New Weekly Messenger 28 January 1838:

MARRIAGES: Henry Okes Bradford Esq to Frances Knight of Egremont Place, only daughter of the late Captain John Knight.

If the first marriage was the same person then there wouldn't even have been time to call the banns for the second marriage... very curious!

I wouldn't put any emphasis on the witness John Yates as he was witness to a few marriages in St Pancras Chapel, most likely he was a church official. The 'F' for Frances does seem to have been written by the same hand.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Looking at a calendar for 1838, 1st Feb was a Thursday, and the banns would have had to be called on each of the three preceding Sundays, ie 14th, 21st & 28th January. So the first banns would have been called for the marriage to Joseph Burt Pearce on 14th Jan, then Henry Okes Bradford seems to have jumped in & married her by licence on Thursday 18th Jan.

I'd be intrigued to see what surname is in the banns book.

Their daughter Frances Burt Pearce was born 30 Dec 1838, and the will of Francis Burt Pearce also gives her name and date of birth and says that Frances (wife) died without leaving any next of kin by blood except this child.

I've never come across anything like it - certainly not this close in date and in the same church.

It is possible that after 3 weeks they decided that it wasn't going to work and separated. Bigamy is often called the poor man's divorce (which back then was very difficult). Women had few rights regarding money and property so, being more or less free, Frances called herself a widow to remarry. It's a bit barefaced to marry number 2 in the same church! Henry might have wanted to be sure that F was dead before marrying A in case the first marriage came to light at some point. Incidentally, how did he describe himself on the second marriage registration? Batchelor or widower?

Reputation beyond repute

I'd be intrigued to see what surname is in the banns book.
    The banns register might well be interesting... if a copy has survived.

Unfortunately, I don't see one in the catalogue.

https://search.lma.gov.uk/LMA_DOC/P90_PAN1.PDF

The marriage licence allegation for the first marriage is available on microfilm. It might possibly be worth getting a copy.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    It is possible that after 3 weeks they decided that it wasn't going to work and separated. Bigamy is often called the poor man's divorce (which back then was very difficult). Women had few rights regarding money and property so, being more or less free, Frances called herself a widow to remarry. It's a bit barefaced to marry number 2 in the same church! Henry might have wanted to be sure that F was dead before marrying A in case the first marriage came to light at some point. Incidentally, how did he describe himself on the second marriage registration? Batchelor or widower?
    he described himself as a widower but still as a surgeon although on 1871 cesus they are in Birmingham and he is a pawnbroker

On his second marriage to Angelina Davenport Why he described himself as a Widower. I was wondering if there might have been repercussions from this. Henry was certified MRCS in 1829,I have a scan of the certificate,and although he describes himself as surgeon in the 1841 census,in subsequent censuses he is described as MRCS(not practising) and ends his days in Birmingham as a Pawnbroker. He was also listed as witness in a body snatching case in 1821 as "of medical profession"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast