Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default gro birth registrations

Hi, not sure if this has been answered before, but in the course of my research I've found what I think is the same person's birth registered in 2 different quarters.

George Roberts Mar Qtr 1876 Uppingham no mother's maiden name 07A 360
    George James Roberts Jun Qtr 1876 Uppingham mother's maiden name Mayes 07A 338

Can't find a marriage between a Mayes and a Roberts, and George is listed on 1881 and 1891 census as living with his grandmother and maiden aunt, in Uppingham Rutland.

Could he be illegitimate? what would be the reason for the 2 GRO entries?

I'm trying to find a George Roberts born in 1876, as he's my Great Grandfather, having no luck so slowly trying to trace them all and eliminate the ones that don't lead to my family. Hard going:

Famous for offering help & advice

What was his mothers Christian name?

I'm sorry but I don' t know, I'm trying to trace every George Roberts registered in Jun Qtr 1876, my Great grandfather was George Roberts born 7 May 1876, I know not where, nor to whom, a complete blank, but so far after approx. 12 months I have been able to eliminate many of them from my search, this one so far I can't, I have found 2 sisters living in the workhouse at Uppingham, Annie and Ada Mayes, could be his mother, but no marriage to a Roberts. Or he could be the illegitimate child of his maiden aunt, Hannah roberts, who he is with on the 1881 and 1891 census?? So why the 2 registrations, and how does Mayes, fit in as mothers maiden name, I'm at a complete loss. any help or ideas very very welcome

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I think you're only option is to buy both birth certs/PDF that you've found. Or do you have them already.?

Just going by the registrations is a flawed. There is also a possibilty that his birth was not regsitered. Compulsory registration by the parent, or parents didn't happen until 1875. So there may have been an oversight or misunderstanding by the parent, or whoever registered the birth.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Do you have your great grandfathers marraige cert? Did he name a father?

Who & when did he marry?

Yes, I think I will have to go ahead and buy them, just to be sure, although it may not be my ancestor, still that's life when you're researching, I was also wondering, if the mother was one of the girls in the workhouse, would there be a record somewhere of workhouse births? It may be the reason he was brought up by his grandmother, he's an elusive character my Great Grandfather, and almost certainly a bigamist! The info on his marriage cert, regarding his father is I'm sure a lie, as it would be if he were illegitimate.

Yes I do have the marriage cert, he states he's a widower!! Father Thomas Roberts deceased, coal merchant, never been able to tie the 2 of them together, and he married my Great Grandmother 6 weeks after she gave birth to my Grandfather, so what was holding him back, Married 15 March 1913 B'ham registry office, witnesses just the registrar and his assistant, wife Florence Wright. Both listed at the same address at time of marriage.

The question that remains for me is this, if my great grandfather was born on 7 May 1876, then the June Qtr GRO record looks right, but then, how can he also be registered in the March Qtr, at a time when he hadn't been born?

Brick wall demolition expert!

You should order a certificate on the basis that you do not know the GRO references.

When you go to the first page of the order form you have to tell them you want a birth certificate, and the year, 1878, and then you click on the button which says that you do not know the references, and go to the next page, and you will find a form that looks like this:

As you can see you can insert his exact date of birth. If it was me I would not add any other information, the more information you add they are likely to say they can't find the certificate.

You might think you know his mothers name, e.g. Elizabeth, but she might have used Lizzie, in which case the GRO would say it is not a match.

Obviously you have to fill in the bits with an asterick. Place of birth can be the registration district.

There is this baptism.
    You may have already discounted it!

George Roberts
    Birth year 1876
    Baptism year 1876
    Baptism date 19 Mar 1876
    Baptism place Wing
    Denomination Anglican
    Father's William
    Mother's Elizabeth
    Rutland