Thread: John Ross

Loves to help with queries

Default John Ross

John Ross Died 10.Sept.1866 age given as 69 in Nairn Nairnshire, details given are that his parents were James Ross & Isabel Mcbeath.(maybe Mcbeth)

So far I have found the following children for this couple....Emilia 1787, Alexander 1784, and Thomas 1793.

What I cannot find are birth details for John, or a marriage for James & Isabel.

John Ross I believe married Janet Mackintosh 1828 in Nairn and Son James arrived the same year, James was the informant on the death record. James was living with Aunt Amelia Ross for the 1841 & 1851 census, with Uncle Thomas joining them in 1851.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Searching Scotland's People for a marriage anywhere in Scotland, between 1780 and 1790, produces this in Church of Scotland old parish registers:

Isabel MCBETH m. Jas ROSE 15th November 1783 in Nairn.

I don't know if the original parish entry will give you any more information but it might be worth a look, as James's surname might be a transcription error.

The only suitable birth I've found for a John Ross is this one:

John ROSS b. 15th February 1798, baptised 18th February 1898, Pollokshaws East Free, Renfrew. Father, James Ross.

This is in 'other churches' and a long way from Nairn but, again, perhaps worth a look at the original.

Peter

Don't forget that the spelling of names was a fuzzy process in the 18th century - you spoke your name to the Minister/clerk and he wrote down what he heard...

Forgive my typo, John ROSS should be baptised 1798!

Peter

Searched Scotland"s People, the Marriage looks good but not sure about the Birth details, the record gives no details for Mother and says Father James Ross of this Parish, but all other records... Birth of other Children, Marriage.. are all from Nairn, Nairnshire.

Thank you Peter for your time & help.

I widened the search for a John ROSS with parents James and Isabel, without success, but there is this:

James ROSE baptised 21st May 1789 at Nairn, parents James ROSE and Isabel MCBETH.

Peter

.....and also these:

Margaret ROSE baptised 3rd April 1786 at Nairn, same parents.

Isabel ROSE baptised 21st May 1789 at Nairn, same parents. (a twin to James?)

Jane ROSE baptised 21st June 1791 at Nairn, parents James ROSE and Isabel MCBEATH

Peter
    Last edited by elsinore; 07-03-2018 at 2:30 PM. Reason: Added another baptism

Thank you Peter, just found the details on family search.

My Mother-in-Law's maiden name is Ross, so I have been tracking them on her behalf. Her Father Andrew was one of fourteen children, his Father was Alexander Ross born in Nairn 1867 to parents James Ross & Isabella McDonald, James Ross was born in Nairn 1828 to parents John Ross & Janet Mackintosh.

As I mentioned before James is the informant on the death details of John which gives his parents names.

John's birth details are now my brick wall...