Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Bernard Madden WW1 and WW11

Hi my name is Myles, I live in Alberta now for 43 yrs in Canada, I was born in Belfast. I really like Family History, and am hoping to find some info on my Grandfather Bernard Madden who was in WW1, and the Merchant Fleet in WW2, and possibly a Submariner.

Cheers

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Myles
    You may have come to us from Forces War records so if you did reading this will tell you a little about us and our connection to FWR.
    Do you know which of the services your grandfather served in in WW1? If he definitely served after 1921 then his service records will still be with the MoD. You can apply for them and this 'sticky' explains and gives the link where you can download the application forms. You don't need his service number but you do need a copy of his death certificate and 30 pounds.
    However prior to 1972 Royal Naval personnel were given their service records on discharge.
    I think you need to read very carefully the application forms in the link I have given.

If you have anymore information about his WW1 service - which branch of the forces, his date and place of birth, parents etc we can take a look to see what is to be found. Another problem is that 60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so there may be no actaul service record to find. However there may be a Medal roll Index card and a record of any medals awarded but before we can search we need more details. There are six Bernard Maddens in the Medal and Awards records and 6 with the full name in the Medal Roll Index Cards for WW1
    Another question Did your grandfather survive WW11?
    Christina

As I have turned this thread into a research question I have moved it from the Introduce yourself forum to the Military - General forum. Its new title is 'Bernard Madden WW1 and WW11'
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

can you tell us when and where he was born?
    Gortonboy. Mike.

is this him?

First name(s) Bernard
    Last name Madden
    Service number J40269
    Birth year 1898
    Birth date 09 Jan 1898
    Birth place Belfast
    Birth county Antrim
    Birth country Ireland
    Archive The National Archives
    Archive reference ADM 188/727/40269
    Record set British Royal Navy Seamen 1899-1924
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Christanel & Gortonboy.

Thank you for the response, and info. Yes this is him. My Grandfather was in the RN WW 1 for sure. He actually stole his brothers birth cert to join as he was a year too young. I know for sure he was in the merchant fleet as my mother often told me how long he was away at sea. She said he was torpedoed twice, and survived, and depth charged once on the submarines I am thinking for some reason the depth charging may have been WW 1 for the Submarines service.

Bernard Madden
    DOB: Oct 28, 1898
    Born: Belfast N, Ireland
    Service: RN, & Merchant Fleet, Submariner ?
    Parents: Dad, Patrick Madden, Mum, Rose Gilmore, Wife, Jeannie Mc Carry

He received the "Serving Under Fire, "British War Medal", "Victory Medal" I have seen pictures of them, I believe one of my cousins has the actual medals.

He died in 1974.

Tks for all the help

Myles

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Myles,

Bernard is on the 1911 Census living at 27 Tralee Street (Falls, Antrim):

Patrick Madden, 59 Head
    Rose, 49 Wife
    Catherine, 27 dau
    Mary Clara, 25 dau
    Patrick, 23 son
    Annie, 19 dau
    James, 16 son
    Bernard, 13 son
    Agatha, 8 dau

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...Street/174963/

Here is a record of army service which quotes the same address:

https://census.militaryarchives.ie/pd...d_Page_126.pdf

Findmypast have three records of some of Bernard's post-war merchant service. One of the record cards has a photograph.
    FMP's terms and conditions prevent us from quoting specific information but, hopefully, you will be able to access the records yourself.

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Peter for the info.

Yes, that is his Family. when I was growing up I remember him living in #1 Tralee Street. The few times he was home. I'm really curious about the Submariner part of his life. It is hard to get Family info on this subject. I will be in ireland this Jul-Aug, so I will do my best to contact Family, and ask some questions.

Myles

Hisc navy service record for WW1 is available on findmypast. I posted the transcription above.
    Gortonboy. Mike.