Default Grandfather's War Records

Hi

My Grandfather was in the Navy during WW2, he was a Master at Arms. I have tried to locate his war records but have been unable to do so.

I have his service number, a photo of him in his naval uniform, along with a couple of letters from friends who he knew in navy, so I know he was in the navy.

He did once say to me that during the war he had to sign the official secrets act on a few occasions but he never went into any detail about.

Any ideas how I can research this further?

Thanks

S

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you why you came to us.

Service records after 1921 are still held by the MoD, and this 'sticky' explains and gives a link to download application forms but prior to 1972 Royal Naval personnel were given their service records on discharge. Only pay details were kept for pension purposes so the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 is their service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.
    From what you have told us it would seem your grandfather would have received his service record and like so many of us could have disposed of it as not needed when having a clear out.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs