Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SAMUEL CRAWCOUR-ISABELLA ABRAHAMS

This thread follows on from an earlier thread on Isaac Crawcour and Esther Cashmore the parents of Samuel Crawcour 1837-1923. In the earlier thread I provided some data on Samuel including his GROB birth certificate which I bought in 2003. This certificate and some others on my Crawcour lines can be seen on various Ancestry.Com family trees. My relationship to Samuel is through his father Isaac son of David Crawcour who died in St Helier Jersey in 1882- my 4x great grandfather.
    In this thread I will post data which appears in part on some family trees and add new data.

As an initial summary Samuel Crawcour 29 Sept 1837-17 Oct 1923 married Isabella Abrahams 1833-1892. The marriage certificate for Samuel and Isabella records- At Mr Crawcour Main Road Ballarat 25 August 1858
    Samuel Crawcour bachelor 20 b London tobacconist Ballarat usual Castlemaine-Parents Isaac Crawcour tobacconist; Esther Cashmore
    Isabella Abrahams spinster b London parents Hyam Abrahams; Sarah Hart
    Hebrew Marriage Ceremony

Australian Death Index
    Isabella CRAUCOUR b abt 1836 Age 56 St Kilda Victoria-father Hyam Abrahams

As will be shown the inlaws of Isabella were the Prince family.
    The Victoria Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists record -Mrs PRINCE 47 plus 4 children and a Miss/Mrs? Abrahams 20 Arrival 15 Nov 1856 Melbourne Departure London -ship Indemnity. I suspect that this record shows Isabella Abrahams.

Some family trees have the father of Isabella as alive in the 1840s-50s however 2 census records suggest that Isabella may have been an orphan by 1841.
    The 1841 Census shows her living with her uncle and aunt Henry and Esther PRINCE
    (Crown Copyright,TNA) HO107 267 12 14 3 32 10
    Flore Street St.Petrock Devon
    Henry Prince 34 Furrier F
    Esther Prince 28 N
    Naptali Prince 1 N
    Jane Barnet 21 assistant N
    ISABELLA ABRAHAMS 8 N
    +1 servant

Isabella is still in the Prince household in 1851
    (Copyright,TNA) HO107 1532 413 27
    6 St.James Place Duke's Place London

Henry PRINCE H M Furrier and Orange Dealer b Holland
    Esther wife 37 b London St James Dukes Place
    Alfred son 12 b " "
    Albert son 11 b " "
    Henry son 9 b Devon Exeter
    Abraham son 6 b Devon Exeter
    Isaac son 5 b Devon Exeter
    Sarah dau 2 b Devon Exeter
    Joseph son 9 mths b London St James
    ISABELLA ABRAHAMS niece 18 b St Katherine's Cree
    +1 servant

Why Isabella age circa 8 was with her uncle and aunt in Devon and later age 18 London is not known but the death of one or both parents pre 1841 maybe a reason.

In the 1841 Census ( Copyright,TNA HO107 709 4 10 11 14 15
    Samuel Crawcour is with his parents pre their move to Melbourne
    Hackney Road Shoreditch
    Isaac CRAWCOUR 25 Tobacconist Y
    Ester 25 Y
    Joseph 5 Y
    SAMUEL 3 Y
    Michel 2 Y
    Rebecca CASHORE 17 Y
    +1 female servant

More to follow.

Phillip

Several Ancestry.Com family trees have Hyman Abrahams the father of Isabella marrying twice. Synagogue Scribes have 2 marriages:
    GSM 278/07
    Hyman Abrahams Hebrew name Chaim ( Desc.from a Priv.Member) 7 Dec 1831 father's Hebrew name Tsevi Hirsh -Sarah HART Father's Hebrew name Naphtali Hirts

The second marriage- GSMa015/06
    Hyman Abrahams 30 Oct 1842 father's Hebrew Tsevi- Priscilla MARKS Hebrew name Shprintsa -father's Hebrew name Eli

In this record there is no reference to Hyman being descended from a Privileged Member as per the marriage to Sarah Hart. This maybe an omission or else may suggest that they are not one in the same.

Synagogue Scribes GSM 290/38 has the marriage of Priscilla:
    Priscilla JACOBS father's Hebrew name Elia hu 31 July 1833- Samule MARKS father's Hebrew name Yehuda Leib

I am keeping an open mind about the second marriage bearing in mind Isabella being with her Prince aunt and uncle in the 1841 and 1851 Census and if Isabella had any siblings from the first marriage and if so, where were they.
    There are at least one census record which links an Esther Abrahams to Priscilla Marks and Synagogue Scribes records also list other Abrahams who have the same father's Hebrew name as Hyman but caution is needed because of the commonality of the Hebrew names however there are also references to these Abraham's father also being Privileged Members of the Great Synagogue.

That there was at least one sibling of Isabella Abrahams can be seen in a Jewish Chronicle newspaper article:
    Friday March 11, 1892
    MRS DE BEER,124 Newington Green Road , returns thanks for kind visits of condolence and cards for her beloved late lamented sister MRS SAMUEL CRAWCOUR of St.Kilda, Australia.

I have yet to clearly identify who Mrs De Beer sister of Isabella was.

Further data to follow.

Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Default PRINCE; ABRAHAMS; CRAWCOUR; CASHMORE

How weird - I was filling in the 1851 Henry PRINCE census information only two days ago, and he's only one of my random sidelines, not connected to my ancestry.
    Questions:
    Do you know if Henry PRINCE, furrier in the 1841 and 1851 England censuses is in any way connected to a Henry PRICE/PRINCE, furrier, associated with the congregation in Glasgow c. 1829-1843?
    How do you know who Isabella ABRAHAMS' parents are? (Please forgive me, the answer is probably staring me right in the face in your text, but at present I'm having difficulty concentrating, and if you can be tolerant and repeat yourself, I'd be very grateful.)

Are CRAWCOUR and CASHMORE common names?
    I have a Fanny CRAWCOUR, school mistress in Northfleet, Kent, in 1841/51, and in Glasgow in 1872 (year probably an error on my part as this is from a census record and should probably be 1871).Fanny's daughter Eliza married S.BARCZINSKI. Somewhere (I stupidly didn't record where) it is said that her daughter Martha married a Samuel LAZARUS, but I could find no evidence of this.

Eliza and her husband, S. BARCZINSKI, took over her mother's school. One of Barczinski's pupils was a Harry N. CALISHER who passed the Oxford Local Examinations in 1870. I don't know who Harry is, but he may be Nathaniel Harry Calisher, born 1854 (would that make him the right age?), a grandson of Nathan Jacob CALISHER in whom I'm interested because of his LAZARUS connections.

CASHMORE - another random bit of data - Mordecai LAZARUS, glass dealer, born c.1780, married Julia CASHMORE. Mordecai LAZARUS and Joseph CASHMORE went bankrupt in 1817. This may be Joseph Kashman, the births of whose children are recorded in the New synagogue records. I imagine Julia was one of his kids, but I found no record of her birth.
    Mordecai and Julia Cashmore appear to have migrated to Australia after 1841. I haven't chased them further.
    Are any of the above related to your lot?

(You are much better at recording your sources than I. When I'm chasing things down in a hurry - usually to see if there are connections to the people I am interested in - I tend to be less careful about recording source details and kick myself later.)
    Eve

Default Oops! Info staring me in the face

[QUOTE=Eve Mary;657594]
    [How do you know who Isabella ABRAHAMS' parents are? (Please forgive me, the answer is probably staring me right in the face in your text, but at present I'm having difficulty concentrating, and if you can be tolerant and repeat yourself, I'd be very grateful.)]

Oh, for goodness sake, it WAS staring me right in the face. Will try to digest all the information when I'm not stupidly tired.

I do thank you very much for giving your sources - so helpful! I don't have the energy to look mine up and type them out, but if there are specifics you want, I will try to post them.
    Last edited by Eve Mary; 03-03-2018 at 6:20 AM. Reason: minor clarification

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Eve Mary View Post
    (You are much better at recording your sources than I. When I'm chasing things down in a hurry - usually to see if there are connections to the people I am interested in - I tend to be less careful about recording source details and kick myself later.)
    Eve
    I learnt the hard way about not recording sources properly, and also about not transcribing exactly what was written in those sources. With one family when I later went back to check my very early work I found five errors in seven entries.
    Since then, however eager I've been to follow links I've made sure I've transcribed correctly, and recorded the source. Saves so much effort later on. If you've still got missing sources I would suggest you spend some time filling them in. And in the months/years since you first found those records you might find further records have been added, so you can fill in more gaps.

[QUOTE=Eve Mary;657596]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve Mary View Post
    [How do you know who Isabella ABRAHAMS' parents are? (Please forgive me, the answer is probably staring me right in the face in your text, but at present I'm having difficulty concentrating, and if you can be tolerant and repeat yourself, I'd be very grateful.)]

Oh, for goodness sake, it WAS staring me right in the face. Will try to digest all the information when I'm not stupidly tired.
    Worst time you can pick to do (or attempt to do) family history. That's when you make stupid errors.
    I do thank you very much for giving your sources - so helpful! I don't have the energy to look mine up and type them out, but if there are specifics you want, I will try to post them.
    It's hardly fair to expect help with your research if you don't provide information you already have. If there's one thing I (and most other people too) hate it's spending anything up to an hour thoroughly searching and checking, only to be told 'Oh I know that'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default answer to Pam (not specific to thread)

Pam, cut others some slack if you don't know their circumstances, and please don't lecture.

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so I'm, well, chronically fatigued, mentally as well as physically. Also, I've just lost my partner. Spending hours immersed in genealogy when I can't manage anything else is how I cope.

I've been doing this stuff for 25 years (before the internet), which I assume from your photo you probably haven't. Along the way I've learned many of the same things you have (yes, I have to go back and correct information, or relocate sources and enter them more fully) and am still learning. There might even be things I could learn from you - but not by being lectured at.

If you record every source for every bit of data you collect, that's great - I admire those who have the patience to do that. From your answer to mine about school lists, I suspect we have different research styles. I collect lots of random fragments of data as I come across them. If they're not directly connected to the families I'm interested in and think I'm unlikely to need the information, I don't always record sources properly, but can usually work backwards and find them. (As I would do if someone else wanted the details.)

I will happily exchange information with others. I don't post trees on websites in part because I don't like posting incomplete or inadequately sourced information that may mislead others. And if I'm puzzled about something on another's tree, will ask them about it and politely explain why I'm questioning it - without suggesting I'd like to hammer or censor the person for any errors.
    Phillip is exceptional (in my experience) in his time and generosity in posting so much so comprehensively - and in his willingness to help.

Eve
    In answer to your question regarding the Crawcour and Cashmore relationships they are very close through friendship and marriages. I have posted on Michael Cashmore and Isaac Crawcour and their relationships on an earlier thread. The Crawcour last name is a unique one. My distant cousin Patrick Coppel in Melbourne and In spent several years researching the Crawcour name world wide.
    Pat produced a very detailed data base on over 1500 individuals and we supported this with primary sources such as family trees, BMD, wills, photos, portraits, letters etc...The data ranged from the mid 1700s to the present ( at the time Pat stopped the research in 2009). I never stopped and have added data regularly particularly filling in gaps.
    When we did the data base and my subsequent research we did not find any Crawcour ( the surname comes from Cracow, Poland) who were not directly descended from Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 surgeon dentist.
    Samuel's father was Isaac but we do not know whether or not Samuel had siblings but it is highly likely. If so, then it is possible that there are descendants related to us who we know nothing about. The last name for Crawcour in these circumstances may not be the one they used. We suspect as in the case of many Jews that the choice of last name was for convenience such as a place name.

Fanny Crawcour nee Alexander of the Gravesend school with her daughters was the 2nd wife of Barnett Crawcour son of Samuel and brother of my 4x great grandfather David Crawcour who died Jersey in 1882 ( see Cemetery Scribes for the family records plus my research on the Jews Cemetery Norwich which Angela Shires and Gaby Laws have kindly added to their blog.

My early academic background and studies were History and Theology which have served me well in the research but I do not know all the answers and wish I could read and write Hebrew.

Hope this explanation helps.

Phillip

Eve
    Replying to your #3 regarding Crawcour/Lazarus relationships. See thread Reuben Alexander-Anne Crawcour 28 Dec 2017 and Samuel Lazarus =Rachel Alexander plus their children; See thread Henry Morwitch-Sophia Alexander started 2012; See Synagogue Scribes marriage Ann Crawcour=Lazarus Simons ( some years ago we had a note on our Crawcour data base that Lazarus Simons may have been Simon Lazarus but I never followed this up ); See also the website Jacobs Tree- Home of a Jacobs Tree- there are several Lazarus who connect through marriage to my Jacobs lines.
    I hope this helps.

With regard to your question about Henry Prince I am researching the Prince/Abrahams line as per my earlier posts. I need to confirm more data.

Phillip

Phillip,

Thank you for the Crawcour/Cashmore information. At last I know one way you fit into my collection. I sometimes imagine my research style as buying incomplete and mixed up jigsaw puzzles without their boxes at random garage sales around the neighbourhood. I love it when some pieces fit together. I guess one day we'll even discover how we're related.

There was still the question about the Henry Princes, furriers, and if they're the same person. Hardly critical, but I do like getting to merge two people.

You said your early academic background was in History and Theology. Interesting. What was/is your later academic field? I started off in art, but have been involved with archaeology (as a volunteer) for many years now. Curiously, I'm now listening to an audiobook version of a spin-off of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, about a young woman who becomes his apprentice, then partner and wife. She is Jewish and a theology student at Oxford working on a book about Sophia/wisdom. The current story involves a letter written by one Mariam of Magdalena, Apostle, at the time of the Jewish revolt. I've been thinking how interesting studies of ancient theology must be. But my interest in history has been primarily Medieval, (particularly Anglo-Saxon) social history. And Victorian Jews, of course.

I am still researching Henry Abrahams father of Isabella and enclose further data on the Henry Prince relationship.
    Jewish Chronicle Archive
    Death
    On 26 June Melbourne Henry H Prince aged 49 fourth son of Mrs Prince 105 Shirland Gardens Maida Vale and the late Mr Henry Prince of Melbourne-August 7, 1891

1891 Census ( Crown Copyright,TNA) RG12 5 99 74
    105 Shirland Road Paddington
    Sarah SOLOMON H widow 42 living on own means b Devon Exeter
    Estelle dau s 20 b Australia Victoria
    Henry G son s 19 b Australia Victoria
    ESTHER PRINCE mother widow 78 b London Aldgate
    +1 servant

This data links Isabella Abrahams as per 1841 and 1851 Census with this Prince family and Melbourne Australia.
    I have the Ancestry.Com family trees which show a Henry Prince jeweller living in Brown's Buildings and recorded on the trees as the father of Isabella. However, I would wish to seek further evidence.

Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast