Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's just over a month since I posted the papers to the MOD for my late Father's service record. Nothing to report yet...I notice that the MOD website states the search can take several months. Will post again when I have something tangible.
    Best to All,
    Nigel.

Today, 02/05/18, I received my late Father's service record; everything that the MOD holds. As I'm sure you appreciate, there is much to read & digest. I will post again when I have studied the documents in detail,
    Sincerely,
    Nigel.

After a first read-through of my Father's Service Record, I find myself with more questions than answers. The MOD say they have sent me everything they have, but there are several, missing years. The picture my Father painted of his time in the Army is largely substantiated, along with some unexpected contradictions & instances where he had been 'economical with the truth!' I guess this is one of the risks one takes when researching family history. The accompanying MOD letter included contact details of organisations like The National Archives & The Imperial War Museum where further information may be found. I will post again if I continue my research. In the meantime, greetings to All,
    Nigel.

Thank you Nigel for updating us.
    It is always interesting to compare oral 'records' with the written ones.
    From my dad's suitcases full of sketches done during his time in Benghazi in WW11 it appears he didn't do anything else whilst there.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I gather that organisations like The National Archives at Kew & The Imperial War Museum hold 'Operational Diaries'. According to an archivist I spoke to on the 'phone, they contain Regimental/campaign details. Individuals are rarely named unless they distinguished themselves in some exceptional way. The missing years are between 1942-1944. It was my understanding that after getting married in '42, my Father was posted directly to East Africa. It transpires that he didn't arrive in Africa until late '44. Should I be content with what I have, or do I push on? Not a question I can answer right now.
    Greetings to All,
    Nigel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12