Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with my late Father's service record

My late Father, Lawrence Paterson (known as 'Pat') served in the R.A.S.C. & at some point joined the 6th King's African Rifles. He was in Kenya. Local names like Mombassa & Ginger come to mind. His rank at demob (1946?) was Captain. I have one listing of a promotion from the London Gazette & nothing more. Anyone out there with African connections from WW2?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

This is the web site of The Kings African Rifles and East African Forces

The MoD hold service records from 1921 onwards but you can apply for them. Here is a 'sticky' with an explanation and a link where you can download the application forms. You will need a copy of your father's death certificate and 30 pounds.

The National Archives a a research guide for soldiers in African forces under British control here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dear Christina,
    Thank you for the prompt & informative reply. My Father died in 1999 & so falls outside the 25 year rule. As his eldest son, I'm unclear as to what level of disclosure I'm entitled.
    Nigel.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

As eldest son, you should get everything.
    My Dad died in 1998 and I got everything when I applied over 10 years ago.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Dear Robert,
    Quick off the mark, thank you! Good news that I should get full disclosure,
    Best Wishes,
    Nigel.

An update: I have been contacted by the administrator of The King's African Rifles website. Very helpful chap...I have replied with what information I have about my Father, L.W. Paterson. Let's see where that takes us. Here is the link to the KAR website: https://www.kingsafricanriflesassociation.co.uk
    Last edited by halfpint; 03-03-2018 at 9:30 AM. Reason: Additional information

Spelling correction: I believe 'Ginger' should be 'Jinja'. Please forgive my ignorance! A further update: I'm now in a position to obtain my Father's service records from the MOD. Just waiting on some final documentation. This forum has been instrumental in speeding up my searches. I'm very grateful.

I have posted the forms to obtain my late Father's service record. Fingers crossed they can be found. I will post again when I have more news.

Thank you for keeping us up to date with your searches. We look forward to a follow up.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The one thing that delayed things was not knowing my Father's year of birth. I contacted the hospice in which he spent his final days, hoping they would be able to help...& help they did. I had to make a written request (an email sufficed) & the date I needed was forthcoming, enabling me to apply for the required copy of his death certificate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast