Thread: 1861 census

Loves to help with queries

Default 1861 census

Is it possible to search by street name?

Sue

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

According to an email I received the other day from FMP the answer is yes for all the census. They say they are the only site to offer this facility for 1841-1911. (Other sites may offer it for some years.)
    Have quickly tried it for 1871 and it worked. Just remember that some road names might have had their spelling changed over the years, or there may be a mis-transcription in the index. Buck Street instead of Back Street for example, so be a little flexible in your search.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

marj

The Genealogist.co.uk has this facility, what is the name you are looking for.

Marj

Reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to search by street name?
    Or if you have access to Ancestry and not to FMP, you can search with the aid of a street index or other 'old-fashioned' techniques.

Which street in which district are you looking for?

Thank you all for replying. Have an Ancestry sub and tried entering street name in “Keyword” but didn’t work.
    Looking for the CHANDLER family at 57 Eaton St, should be sub district Howard St, registration district Liverpool.
    Have been looking for many years, John CHANDLER (some records CHANTLER/CHALLONER) wife Mary Ann both born c1834 Liverpool.

Problem is can’t find a marriage for John and Mary Ann so don’t know fathers’ names and although all census from 1871 to 1891 say born Liverpool, want to see what they say in 1861 but can’t find them.
    The above address is on 1860 birth certificate of daughter Margaret who died in infancy.
    Any help much appreciated

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

Ancestry have not transcribed street names so entering it in Keywords won't help.

Eaton Street, Liverpool in the 1861 census is at RG9/2663 ff 47-58

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...reet_Index_C-F

If I have the correct family, for instance, 1881: RG11; Piece: 3606; Folio: 69; Page: 7;

It would seem Mary Ann's maiden name is Flynn, is this right? However, I haven't found a marriage to fit.
    Alma

Thank you Peter and almach.....found 57 Easton St but no CHANDLER family there. Yes almach, Mary Ann's maiden name is FLYNN but have looked long and hard for a marriage with no success. They always lived around the same area and there is just one other CHANDLER family in the neighbourhood and I've often wondered if my John was the related to Thomas CHANDLER who gives his place of birth as Ireland. I've wondered if my John wanted to hide his Irish origins and maybe he and Mary Ann married in Ireland. Another teasing fact is my great aunt CHANDLER married a GANNON and a child of Thomas CHANDLER married a GANNON from the same family.

Sue

A bit laborious to find it in Ancestry by first searching the enumerators' books.

On the 'search' page click on UK census under the Historical Records banner.
    RH column - Search this data collection by census year - click on the census year you want
    Again - scroll down page to Included data collections - click on census needed
    RH column - Browse this collection
    Choose - County, Civil Parish, Sub-registration District.

It then brings up a list of Enumeration Districts and if you click on these one by one you will be able to read which streets each one includes. When you find the Enumerator's book with your street in then you click on the grey bar at the bottom of the page (in the centre) and click through until you find the street you are looking for.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs