Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finding WW2 RAF record with only rank & name

Hi,

I am attempting to access my grandfather's RAF record (and any other reference to him). My grandfather is listed on my father's birth certificate as Cpl Adam Simpson.

My father was born in Glasgow in December 1943 and has since passed away. He was not brought up by his parents but knew that his father was in the RAF during the war.

I do not know for certain that my grandfather has passed away but think it likely based on his probable age, although I have no date of birth.

I was considering applying to the MOD for his record (giving only his name and rank) on the basis that as far as I am aware I am his next of kin. I have no idea if he went on to have a family, he could have died during the war.

Is there a chance that this will be successful? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Hello Andrew
    The MoD do have strict criteria for releasing information on possibly living people.
    This is the 'sticky' that explains and gives a link where forms can be downloaded but read the instructions first. Also you will not get a refund of your 30 pounds even if they did go ahead with the search and found nothing.
    I think you need to try and find his death certificate.
    On your father's birth certificate where were the parents living? Was your grandfather Scottish or another nationality stationed in Scotland? What age range do you think he was in? Any scrap of information that may help us find a possible contender.
    If he died during the war then his name will be on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you, I will make efforts to find his date of birth / death certificate. I think it likely that he was Scottish so will start looking.

Regards
    Andrew

CWGC.org does not have any Adam Simpsons in its database, so Adam must have survived the War.
    Scotlands People have 29 deaths, based on a death from 1945-2017 of a man aged 23-72. Many have middle names. However, if he was just stationed near Glasgow, he might not even have been a scot. Or he might have settled elsewhere.

MOD are strict. When I applied, I couldn't find my Dad's death cert and, to try and save time, sent a copy of his obituary instead. They wouldn't accept it and I had to buy a fresh copy of the death cert.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Lesley,
    Many thanks. I've had a look on Scotlands People myself and narrowed it down to 14 possibles (based on him being between 18 and 30 in 1943). The difficulty I have is that I have no other information other than him being Cpl Adam Simpson of the RAF in late 1943, I will keep digging! Any suggestions for other websites, databases, archives that might be of help are most welcome!
    Regards
    Andrew

Hi
    On your father's birth certificate what address(es) were given for his parents?

The site Forces Reunited may be a site to look at although it would be easier if we knew where he served.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina,

Thanks very much for your help. I know he was based in Glasgow in 1943, unfortunately the birth certificate doesn't give much information. No address for his father, his mother's details simply says "Usual residence - Ashfield, Dunblane"

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Q View Post
    Lesley,
    Many thanks. I've had a look on Scotlands People myself and narrowed it down to 14 possibles (based on him being between 18 and 30 in 1943). The difficulty I have is that I have no other information other than him being Cpl Adam Simpson of the RAF in late 1943, I will keep digging! Any suggestions for other websites, databases, archives that might be of help are most welcome!
    Regards
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew,
    Lesley Robertson recently pointed me in the direction of the National Library of Scotland where they have 3 volumes of the Air Lists 1940-1945, this Link will take you there.

I had a quick look in ONE 1943 volume but could not see an Adam Simpson however there were 7 Simpsons with a first initial A. further volumes need investigating. I wish you luck.

Regards,
    Malcolm.
    Last edited by macwil; 06-04-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: correction to name

Reputation beyond repute

1. Adam Simpson was a corporal and therefore would not be in the Air Force List.

2. It's often productive to follow the money trail. What about child maintenance? The mother may have applied for a court order against the father for maintenance. I'm not familiar with the Scottish legal system but I assume it would be in a court local to where the mother lived. Local newspapers may have reported the case.

A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs down

Just had a search in AIR 78. The result was discouraging, there are 73 Simpsons listed simply with first initial A, there was also an Adam and an Adam Clarke. This Link will take you there if you feel you need to see for yourself, click on 'show images' you need images 170-179.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast