Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EDWARD HOWARD

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default EDWARD HOWARD

I am searching for the Place and Date of Birth of Edward Howard. He was a Gunner with the Horse Brigade, Royal Artillery, British Army. He came out to India around 1860. he had a son , Charles Joseph Howard who was born in Meerut, India on 28.05.1867.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    Ian Howard

Famous for offering help & advice

hello, welcome to the forum

on Charles Joseph's baptism record his mother is Sophia, is that correct ?

I notice an Edward HOWARD (born 1827) married Sophia JONES at Meerut 27 December 1854, but if you say Edward was not in India until 1860 I guess we should discount that. Do you happen to know if Edward died in India, and if so, at what age ?

I see other baptisms for children to Edward & Sophia

Emma Caroline Howard, born Meerut 31 October 1864
    Edward Alfred Howard, born Sealkote 6 January 1857
    John Frederick Howard, born Meerut 27 May 1861

unfortunately I don't have a subscription to Find My Past, where I could look at the images of these baptisms to check father's occupation.

before I forget, Edward Howard's father on that 1854 marriage is James Howard

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Unfortunately, I do not have the Baptism Certificate of Charles Joseph Howard so am unable to confirm his Mother's name was Sophia.

It is possible that Edward Howard was, in fact, born in 1827. If he married Sophia Jones in December, 1854 that would make him 27 years old. I do not know when he died and if he died in India.

Since Charles was born in 1867, that would place Edward at 40 years of age. Since I presume Emma Howard was the first child, then, I guess, even in those days, having two or three kids in 12 years was not unusual. I had mentioned 1860 as I was assuming that since Charles was born on 1867 he must have been in India in the 1860's.
    As per what I know, Edward Howard had 4 children - Emma, Charles, Edward and Florence.

In your second email you mention that Edward and Sophia had Emma Caroline Howard, Charles Joseph Howard, Edward Alfred Howard and John Frederick Howard. My list and yours seems to differ only on the last name ( unless he actually had 5 kids and I am missing John? ).

Is there any way that I can get a copy of the Baptism Record of Charles Joseph Howard? Also, can I get a copy of the marriage certificate of Edward Howard to Sophia Jones at Meerut on 27th December, 1854? If you could kindly guide me on where to go to get these records, I will be most grateful.

Thank you, once again, for this " Ray of Hope" . I do believe that with your help I WILL find my Ancestor.

Growing old Disgracefully

Charles Joseph Howard. Birth 28 May 1867, Baptism date 17 Jul 1867. Anarkullee, Bengal. son of Edward and Sophie. Father gunner
    Charles Joseph Howard. Death 24 Dec 1938, Lucknow, Bengal. Retired government Servent

Find my past have them

thanks for coming to my rescue Sandyhall. I haven't been feeling very well since my last post. I guess IKHOWARD may not be familiar with what "Find my past" is. I may have been wrong about the John Howard - he may have been born to a difference Edward & Sophia. Was Florence Howard born in 1876 ? The 1854 marriage record I mentioned is on Ancestry but for some reason I can't find it on FMP.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Edward Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Charles Joseph Howard. Birth 28 May 1867, Baptism date 17 Jul 1867. Anarkullee, Bengal. son of Edward and Sophie. Father gunner
    Charles Joseph Howard. Death 24 Dec 1938, Lucknow, Bengal. Retired government Servent

Find my past have them
    Many Thanks Sandyhall. I will look up findmypast for the Birth Certificate of Charles Howard. You wouldn't, by any chance, have access to the Birth or Marriage Certificate of Edward Howard most likely born in 1827 and got married to Sophia Jones at Meerut on 27.12.1854.? Grateful if you can help me with this one.
    Thanks, once again. Much appreciate your assistance.
    Regards
    Ian Howard

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Edward Howard

Quote Originally Posted by IKHOWARD View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have the Baptism Certificate of Charles Joseph Howard so am unable to confirm his Mother's name was Sophia.

It is possible that Edward Howard was, in fact, born in 1827. If he married Sophia Jones in December, 1854 that would make him 27 years old. I do not know when he died and if he died in India.

Since Charles was born in 1867, that would place Edward at 40 years of age. Since I presume Emma Howard was the first child, then, I guess, even in those days, having two or three kids in 12 years was not unusual. I had mentioned 1860 as I was assuming that since Charles was born on 1867 he must have been in India in the 1860's.
    As per what I know, Edward Howard had 4 children - Emma, Charles, Edward and Florence.

In your second email you mention that Edward and Sophia had Emma Caroline Howard, Charles Joseph Howard, Edward Alfred Howard and John Frederick Howard. My list and yours seems to differ only on the last name ( unless he actually had 5 kids and I am missing John? ).

Is there any way that I can get a copy of the Baptism Record of Charles Joseph Howard? Also, can I get a copy of the marriage certificate of Edward Howard to Sophia Jones at Meerut on 27th December, 1854? If you could kindly guide me on where to go to get these records, I will be most grateful.

Thank you, once again, for this " Ray of Hope" . I do believe that with your help I WILL find my Ancestor.
    Dear Wimsey,
    I tried looking up the "findmypast" records but have not come across the marriage certificate of Edward Howard to Sophia Jones or the record of their children. Could you share with me the name of the site from where you were able to obtain this information please? Kind regards, Ian Howard

I found the marriage record on the "Ancestry.com" website - there is no image/scan/photograph. To be honest I don't know how you would obtain the marriage certificate. I don't know why that marriage record is not on Find My Past.

As far as the birthplace of Edward Howard is concerned, all we know is that his father was James and he (Edward) was born about 1827 but we do not know where - so there is not much information to go on. I have not found a military record for Edward Howard which might give some clue to his birthplace.

sorry not to be more help. someone else on this forum may have some good ideas.

were you able to find some baptism and burial records on Find My Past ? was I wrong about John Frederick Howard ?

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    thanks for coming to my rescue Sandyhall. I haven't been feeling very well since my last post. I guess IKHOWARD may not be familiar with what "Find my past" is. I may have been wrong about the John Howard - he may have been born to a difference Edward & Sophia. Was Florence Howard born in 1876 ? The 1854 marriage record I mentioned is on Ancestry but for some reason I can't find it on FMP.
    Hope your better now its about isn't it everyone has this cold, flu thing. Me I have to be different I was getting Gassed. Boiler Maintenance came on Friday to service the Gas Boiler its yearly service. Guess what I now have no Heating or hot water and its the coldest week again, its trying to snow again this moring.

I can't find anything on Find my Past but will try again as it was late last night when I looked and I think you have to go to "The British Library" in London for records of India. Someone said this a couple of weeks ago when we where looking for someones records from India.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast