Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jcarruthers View Post
    Yes that is something that has played on my mind over the years. Maud Carruthers separated from George Russell Carruthers and followed my grandfather to Australia after his marriage in 1921. By all accounts my grandfather was quite attached to her. He certainly never gave any indication to my grandmother (with whom I had many talks about life in Edinburgh) or his children that he knew he was adopted. He and my grandmother named one of their children (my aunt) after Maud.
    And, my grandfathers death certificate is quite definite in naming her and George Russell Carruthers as his parents, although I’m unsure what my grandmother and father used as evidence – no documents survive in our family.
    The marriage certificate also names them as his parents. Documents not surviving is not unusual. They may have used the marriage certificate as proof of parents at his death then threw it out because it was no longer needed.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Jcarruthers View Post
    Hi Christanel

Christina was born illegitimately to Lillias McEwan as Elizabeth Millar McEwan on Aug 21, 1896 in Glasgow. Lillias was the informant with the father named as Hugh Millar of Ayrshire. Hugh rejected paternity. George and Maud adopted her in 1896 and renamed her Christina Elizabeth McEwan Carruthers.
    Census records we have show that in 1901 her birth place is shown as Blackfriars, Glasgow, whereas in 1911 it is shown as Edinburgh.
    Not only does the 1901 census show her birthplace as Blackfriars but so does her birth certificate with Lillias' address as 50 John St, Ayr. Elizabeth's birth registration is the first time I have seen a Register of Corrected entries. This one says the Sherriff substitute of Ayrshire found that Hugh Millar, Blacksmith, of 27 East Main St, Parr? was Elizabeth's father. Lillias was living at 308 Renfrew St Glasgow, at the time.
    I have posted these details which you have so they are out there for others who may need them in the future.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Hi grisel
    No idea how George and Maud came to adopt Elizabeth. She has been a mystery to us until recently. Strange too that Elizabeth was born in Glasgow and the Carruthers lived in Edinburgh? The one thing that has me curious is that there is a genetic condition that existed in both Frederick Lockwood Logan Carruthers family and George Russell Carruthers family as well as my own family. Might be coincidence but this was maybe what led our genealogist into making a link?[/I][/B] Either my grandfather was the unregistered son of George Russell Carruthers or perhaps he was the adopted son of a close relative? Or the genetic link is purely coincidental

Your genealogist thought that Frederick Fotheringham Carruthers was actually your grandfather George Frederick. We have shown that that is not the case.
    I have been following Fred Fotheringham and George Frederick back through their parents, grandparents.

Thomas Carruthers married Christina McRae 1850
    Four children that I have found
    James (Aitken) McRae 1850
    Christina 1852
    Rachel 1857
    Frederick Fotheringham Logan 1861

James Aitken Carruthers is the father of George Russell Carruthers who is the father of George Frederick Carruthers 1898.

Thomas Carruthers married Christina
    sons
    1.James 1850 brother of 2. Frederick Lockwood Logan 1861
    his son George Russell 1871 cousin of FLL's son Frederick Fotheringham 1892
    his son George Frederick 1898

So Frederick Fotheringham Logan Carruthers born 1892 is actually the uncle of George Frederick Carruthers born 1898.

All of this needs to be checked using certificates and parish records.
    If I am correct then it is no surprise that there is a common genetic condition which if it affected George Frederick would indicate he was born a Carruthers.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for following up Christina. Our original research info (birth and marriage) though shows George Russell Carruthers father as James Aitken Carruthers, born 1839, married Christina Arbuthnot Mathieson. Siblings were Elizabeth, William and Margaret and all were the children of William Farish Carruthers and Mary Ann Aitken. So many coincidental names popping up! Quite confusing. Or maybe there were more historical adoptions unaccounted for.

Hi
    Just quickly. Do you have the birth/baptism record for James Aitken Carruthers 1839. I can't see it on ScotlandsPeople 1830-1845 all counties with that date and mother's surname.
    I have a couple of nights in hospital so will look again when I am home
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Actually it is his marriage and death records we have (see att). We too cannot find his birth record.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123