Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frank George Williamson a Pilot?

I have been researching my Grandfather Frank George Williamson. Family legend has it he was a Pilot and flew a Sopwith Camel and a Vicker's Gunbus. His records indicate he was an Air Mechanic 1st class. Other records indicate he was a Fitter/Turner.

Service Number (3569). I would love to find the facts regarding his service.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Hi
    I have changed the title of this thread to give our members some indication of the subject matter.
    new title is Frank George Williamson a Pilot?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi
    There is a record on Find My Past for him.
    As a mechanic, he would not be a pilot.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

A fountain of knowledge

I agree with simmo, an AM1 would not have flown at all, he may well have worked upon these machines however.
    The FB5 (gunbus) was retired in 1916, being one of the first 'fighter' aircraft.
    FB williamson could well have worked on it since he was originally an AM2 and was definitely in service before the FB5 retirement date.

Additional Information indicates that his secondary unit was the 2nd Aircraft Park. Where was this located?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank seel View Post
    Additional Information indicates that his secondary unit was the 2nd Aircraft Park. Where was this located?
    I hadn't a clue so typed '2nd Aircraft Park WWl' into google. First result was this https://www.
    crossandcockade.com/StOmer/TheAircraftDepot.asp

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

The RAF Muster Roll shows him as changing from Fitter (eng) to Fitter (AE) and Cpl to Cpl. Mech. when the RAF was formed in 1918. He had originally joined up in 1915.

Depending on the type of plane, aircrew could include trades other than pilots, but those early planes required serious ground maintenance teams - good mechanics were what kept the RAF flying!

When did he leave the RAF? Since he transferred over in 1918, can we assume that he continued serving after the War?

A fountain of knowledge

All service personell from RNAS and RFC transferred to the RAF on 1/4/18, it was automatic Lesley.
    He may well have served beyond, although this isn't in te rolls I have seen.

Yes I know, but some seem to have served into the 1920s... Enthusiasm for the new service, perhaps...

A fountain of knowledge

Sorry Lesley, my incorrect assumption!
    I'd have to know what army unit he was in before the RFC to be able to tell that I think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast