Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

According the the Muster Roll, he signed up in 1915, but I can't identify an army medal card for him - if he didn't include his middle name, there's a lot of them!

A few dates would be useful -even just years. How old was he, for a start?
    It was your message about the FB5 that made me realise that we were discussing WW1! He was already a Cpl before the merge, and if he was good at what he did, he might have been encouraged to stay on... I've always found that year rather fuzzy for the RAF.

Frank, do you know his pre-RAF regiment? And his birth year?

Knowledgeable and helpful

His service record states that he was born about 1895 in Dalziel, Motherwell. This could be him on Scotland's People:

Francis George WILLIAMSON b. 1894, Dalziel. Ref: 639/868.

This could be verified by his father's name, which is mentioned in his service record.

Peter

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

One way of encouraging fitters/mechanics to do a good job on an aeroplane is to take them up in it when they say that it's ready to go. You don't say where his primary unit was, but, normally a tight fit in a Sopwith Camel, there was a two seater version used at Central Flying School, Upavon, Wilts, at the end of the War. The Gun Bus was a two seater. Just a thought, because I'd be tempted to say that I was up Camels all the time and let you draw your own conclusions.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

I dont think he served into the 1920's. Family legend has it that he was a barnstormer after the war.

His Birth year is 1894. I dont know of a pre-RAF regiment? Was he in another branch of the service before the RFC? And yes, his birth name was spelled FRANCIS.

Your questions have caused me to re examine some records with greater scrutiny. Frank George Williamson (35609) entered military service via Army 8-20-15, RFC 8-20-15 and RAF 1-4-18. A portion of his records indicate "Movements" and abbreviations I am not familiar with. There is mention of transfer to Reserve Status 3-14-19 and 3-6-21. He was recalled from Reserve Status 8-4-21 and Discharged 7-2-23.

He was in France from 3-15-16 to 2-28-19. This may have been where the 2nd Aircraft Park was located.

I need some expertise deciphering some of this information, but this appears to be the most detailed representation of his service I have found.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank seel View Post
    Your questions have caused me to re examine some records with greater scrutiny. Frank George Williamson (35609) entered military service via Army 8-20-15, RFC 8-20-15 and RAF 1-4-18. A portion of his records indicate "Movements" and abbreviations I am not familiar with. There is mention of transfer to Reserve Status 3-14-19 and 3-6-21. He was recalled from Reserve Status 8-4-21 and Discharged 7-2-23.

He was in France from 3-15-16 to 2-28-19. This may have been where the 2nd Aircraft Park was located.

I need some expertise deciphering some of this information, but this appears to be the most detailed representation of his service I have found.
    See the link in post #6.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam, when I first hit the link it would not open. Took a couple of times to get it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12